Pioneer Black Face Receivers - post your info!

Dr. Strangelove

Call them black face receivers, or the "Euro Versions" if you so desire, or better yet, BlackSilver. But, let's look at this with some supportive data.

If you have a:

SX-5530
SX-7730
SX-9930

SX-5560
SX-5570
SX-5580
SX-5590

Please post the following information in this thread:
1) the serial number
2) if it has a voltage selector or not
3) the export code on the rear of the unit

I have collected other information which may reveal how these receivers came to be.

Thanks in advance.

Doc

Last edited:
Hello Doc,

I will chime in later with the results from my SX-5590.

Interestingly enought there is almost no brochures for the black receivers, I have seen one or two of these receivers for sale on the bay which came with a two sided product brochure.. They were certainly never covered in any of the catalogues..

Here's one thing I noticed; all the blackies I have ever owned, all had a voltage selector on the back, and then I mean a worldvoltage selector which goes from 110 to 240 volts.

Funny thing is that my PL-570x, which is also kind of a rare machine, also has a voltage selector on the back.. I have the feeling that all the 570x's ever made have a worldvoltage selector.. But hey.. that's a different subject..

Info available when these units are called BlackSilver, not black face or Euro Versions. They are not all black and not only available in Europe. They are BlackSilver!!! Mine is SX-5580 WI2601696M. I need to look at it for the other information you have asked for.

Last edited:
Hello Doc,

I will chime in later with the results from my SX-5590.

Interestingly enought there is almost no brochures for the black receivers, I have seen one or two of these receivers for sale on the bay which came with a two sided product brochure.. They were certainly never covered in any of the catalogues..

Here's one thing I noticed; all the blackies I have ever owned, all had a voltage selector on the back, and then I mean a worldvoltage selector which goes from 110 to 240 volts.

Funny thing is that my PL-570x, which is also kind of a rare machine, also has a voltage selector on the back.. I have the feeling that all the 570x's ever made have a worldvoltage selector.. But hey.. that's a different subject..

Yes, the "worldvoltage" selector is certainly one of the markers I am lookiing for.

And, I have singled out the PL-570x as a unique device as well.

Doc

Here you go Doc,
Its black, its a reciever, its pioneer

F-Z91. on the top.

Its not what you want, but I couldn't resist.

Wouldn't these black silver models came about as "transition" models during the change from silver to black?

Attachments

• IMGP0871B.jpg
    IMGP0871B.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 320
Most of the Receivers sold in Europe at that time had the "Voltage Selector", and that includes the "BLack Faced" Pioneers........

I have seen Yamahas, Marantz, Sansuis, Pioneer with the black face (only), and so on with the "Voltage Selector".

Here you go Doc,
Its black, its a reciever, its pioneer

F-Z91. on the top.

Its not what you want, but I couldn't resist.

Wouldn't these black silver models came about as "transition" models during the change from silver to black?

those speakers look very interesting , what can you tell us about them ? Is the model #s-z81d ?

those speakers look very interesting , what can you tell us about them ? Is the model #s-z81d ?

You have the model no.
All I can tell you is whats on the front.

18mm aluminium vaporised dome super tweeter.

66mm high density pulp cone tweeter. (paper?)

230mm elastic composite cone woofer.

Magnetically sheilded.

They are mirrored, and I believe about 75 watt. ( peak, i think)
Not real good on vinyl, but they do sound nice with digital stuff.

Sx-5530

I have a SX-5530.

I will edit this post and add s/n, voltage selector info and any export sticker info when I retrieve it from the 70Salesguy Museum of Modern Electronics.

Things are going well, thanks!

And, thanks to the guys who have responded with the data. I am seeing an interesting trend in the serial numbers. As always, more data is always good, so keep the info coming. If you know anyone that has one of these receivers, ask them for the data and post it here.

Doc

Info available when these units are called BlackSilver, not black face or Euro Versions. They are not all black and not only available in Europe. They are BlackSilver!!! Mine is SX-5580 WI02601969. I need to look at it for the other information you have asked for.

Blue Shadow, can you confirm the serial number?

Thanks,
Doc

If anyone has any of these BlackSilver receivers, especially the SX-5560, SX-7730, or SX-9930, please post your info.

Thanks,
Doc

I need to go look at the unit and check the s/n as it is just the one on my list of numbers. May have copied it down wrong. I'll check the country code, too. I know it is adjustable voltage.

Back
Top Bottom