Pioneer Black Face Receivers - post your info!

That is an excellent price, for sure.

The prices I show are (in USD):

Code:
SX-535	300	SX-5530	192
SX-737	400	SX-7730	261
SX-939	500	SX-9930	366

SX-750	400	SX-5560	?
SX-950	600	SX-5570	?
SX-1050	700	SX-5580	350
SX-1250	900	SX-5590	?

Doc

Kewl! I was looking for this info. Would like a black faced Pioneer in the collection someday. :smoke:

Pioneer SX-9930

yimw8uxpnhy.jpg

Export Code ???

could not find any Code......
there is a sticker inside the unit on the right side of chassis with a number on it ??? that one ?

SX-7730 SN: VB1100646T - Yes Voltage Selector

SX-9930 SN: VG1190265U - Yes Voltage Selector

Cheers

SX-9930 Blue Meters

Just for laughs I painted 2 bulbs blue with Craft & Hobby glass paint and popped em in the signal and tuning meter slots. Normally these are clear bulbs and the meters are white like the dial face. I have mixed feelings about the effect as the white against the black is pretty cool in it's own right. I'll probably leave it for awhile and switch back as it's a simple procedure. If I did it right there's a pic attached.

Attachments

• IMG_3633.jpg
    IMG_3633.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 81
Interesting, possibly they were blue to begin with. However, I also have a 7730 and it had clear bulbs in it, the meters themselves are blue around the sides which trims out the white with blue, pretty nice effect.

Longtime Pioneer collector/appreciator and restorer here. This is a GREAT thread, even if it hasn't seen any recent contributions. I've tried to contact Doc about this before as I have information that is VERY region specific and (unfortunately) VERY S/N, individual sample non-specific. I worked in the Summer of 1978 in an upscale Southern clothing concern that had a pretty big footprint in the SE U.S.. They sold the SX-x80 versions of these receivers. The company name was "Belk's". They had the equivalent of the SX-580 through the (I think but I'm not certain) SX-780. Maybe 880. (Update: It was the 880, i.e., the 890.) I don't see very much in the way of articles focusing on the Black versions of these receivers, but I can absolutely tell you that they were around and they were sold to the general public (at the retail level) in the United States. Where they were sourced from in terms of a distributor, I couldn't even begin to guess. At that time (Summer of 1978) there was a local retailer in the same Mall (Harvey's Warehouse) that sold the Silver Versions. I did not yet own one myself and spent my lunch hours comparing them in both places. One thing I remember about the Belk's display (an open quadrant of the lower floor of an anchor store, the display was right across from the management offices) was that you under NO circumstances were allowed to turn them up past getting the meters to move. That wasn't much of a problem at the "Harvey's Warehouse" shop at the other end of the Mall. The Belk's price was MUCH higher than the Harvey's price and the Harvey's price was (prohibitively) higher than the local catalog showroom dealer's (Service Merchandise and Brendle's, both now out of business) prices were. I eventually bought a silver 680 from the local Brendle's. I would've loved to have had one those beauties. Thanks for the information. These receivers are so INTERESTING. After they were cleared out, I thought I'd never see one again. I still don't see many of the Black SX-x80's on auction sites.....

Last edited:
Doc was banned (don't remember why), but it appears that the ban didn't follow him to the new forum. Maybe we'll see him again some day.

Also, I realize I haven't been paying close attention to the nomenclature, but I'll re-read his posts about "Black" vs. "Black-Face". The receivers I saw/drooled over were ONLY black on the Tuner Dial Face. And Belk's sold them at every dollar of MSRP. I think very few were sold. Literally years later, I'd go through the store (after I'd quit working there and check to see if they were on sale) just to admire them. Finally, they were cleared out, but I was too textbook poor to do anything about it. I forgot about them until the Internet era. That time, place and retail environment seems like a different planet now.

Not much traffic on this thread lately. I have an SX-890 that I found on eBay about a year ago. Advertised as functional, but it required a fair amount of cleaning and deoxing to get it back up to snuff. I put some LED’s in it and restored the cabinet. It sounds fantastic and sees daily use.

A644C44B-B045-4D9D-BD41-8FC212A41012.jpeg 48E91E8A-902F-4233-8EFB-7D95D0405D79.jpeg AE3DE913-A6CD-4A68-A95D-CD71AF5577E8.jpeg D8F24E8C-798F-4928-ACA6-E554B66399F3.jpeg D61323DB-CC2A-440E-8DEF-8CE6ED26FC8F.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom