Pioneer C-77 and M-77 voltage

Pioneerpat

Hi everyone,
I bought a Pioneer C-77 and m-77 yesterday in great shape. I have been jonesing for a spec system for a while now. So, my system has begun. However, I got it home and realized there was a possibility that I needed to change something or verify if the unit has been adapted to run on 120V rather than 100v like in Japan. Here are my questions:
1- Did Pioneer make the c-77 and m-77 for the Can/US market, i.e., made to run on 120V?
2- How do I check if it is set up properly to run on 120V?
3- Anyone have any tips on acquiring the rack or other components? There are quite a few around here but the prices are pretty high despite the fact that people are selling them without knowing if they are operational.
4- Any tips on building a rack from scratch? Are there components like side rails available anywhere?
5- too many questions? My wife thinks I am having an affair because I wont get off the computer....searching...

Sadly not familiar with these units so maybe wait for the experts...

2- How do I check if it is set up properly to run on 120V?
First step, check what is stamped/printed or whatever on the back plate.
Expect 50Hz or 60Hz or 50/60Hz. Also 100V or 120V or xxxV
Check for a voltage selector, if a range of voltages is given like 100V/120V/220V/240V... then a selector probably exists
Probably helpful to take a few high res pix on the inside/transformer primary windings
Do for both units

Sounds like hard work, wait 5 min for the experts...

Hi Pioneerpat,

I think you'll find all C77 and M77 units were only made for the JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) and thus they are all 100 VAC.

As member mbz has stated you just need to look on the rear panel on the printing within the Model definition box and it will tell you what voltage that it will work on. If you are in the USA I can't see any reason why a 100 volt unit won't function correctly on the US voltage as 20 volts isn't that much difference in AC. It will be only the plug that will require changing and you can buy plug converters that will eliminate you having to cut the original plug off.

Hi Folks,
Yes, it does indeed say 100V.
The plug is the same as here in Canada and US.
I read somewhere that I have to jumper some wires inside.
I will have to take the cover off and see what things look like in there.
I don't want to cause any damage by putting 20 extra volts through it.

if it were i, i;d invest in a good quality transformer. couldnt find a schematic online either. i dont suppose you got one with it,did you?

I contacted the seller and he informs me that it was modified by a professional technician. I will probably take a look inside to make sure everything looks good.

Operating way outside my pay scale but I think the C-77/M-77 are the Japanese
domestic versions of the SPEC 1 and SPEC 2, (sm on hifiengine) so it's very
unlikely that they will support other mains voltages. A pic of the transformer
wiring showing any unused/capped wires (for the primary) might confirm this.
The sm shows at least 3 (maybe 4) secondary windings and maybe a second transformer
for the C-77. Doubtful you will find a non-OEM replacement. Suggest purchase a
quality stepdown transformer. Suggest torroidal (isolation type) about 1KVA
which should be enough to power the C-77/M-77 total.

I contacted the seller and he informs me that it was modified by a professional technician. I will probably take a look inside to make sure everything looks good.
I wouldn't power it on until 100% certain all ok. If it's not a multi voltage transformer there is not much a tech can do, except connect up
a bar heater to burn some volts. Same issue for both the C-77 and M-77, need to check both.

unless of course someone installed a 120v transformer. it might be a good idea to get the transformer part number as some pioneers have it stencilled on it and then research the part number. you might get lucky.

Back
Top Bottom