Pioneer cassette changer CT-M6R

I had no idea that anyone even made a cassette changer until I ran across this one. I had to take it as part of a package deal to get the piece I wanted. I've tried it out and it seems to work great, plays and swaps all 6 cassettes and records.

Question is, is it worth holding on to? Were these popular? I have other Pioneer cassette machines that I really like.

Here's a picture. I've just kinda wiped it down. Needs more cleaning.

Thanks,

Herman

Attachments

• IMG_1610.jpg
    IMG_1610.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 164
It's a neat unit in the way it works. Unfortunately, the actual player itself is just a "run of the mill" early 90's cassette deck that is used in many Pioneer and Yamaha units. I had this exact model for a few days and returned it to the shop I bought it from because the azimuth was quite off in one playback direction. I've heard auto reverse decks with rotating heads are generally not that great. The only way to adjust the azimuth on this unit is to completely dismantle the mechanism as the screw sits below the base of the tape changer. Good luck with yours!

I had no idea that anyone even made a cassette changer...............

Ohh - they've been around since the dawn of time

philips_n2408_450px.png

I saw a changer at a thrift once. Thinking back now, I should have picked it up for the novelty of it.

It was branded Norelco or Sharp or something like that. Weighed a ton. Used a sliding carriage that you could load up with 8-10 tapes. Each tape would be advanced over the transport slot, and gravity feed to the transport below. I tested it with a pre recorded tape and I saw the meters move, and the carriage advanced tapes. It even recorded, and the record lights and meters lighted. Not likely a record/playback quality king, but I had never seen one, and wished I had it today.....:tears:

Yup...I remember that Pioneer changer in older Crotchfield catalogs. I really wanted one since I didn't have a CD player yet and had a few mix tapes with songs from the radio that I'd listen to all the time.

That Sony one looks like a mini server/backup HDD for a computer. Too bad it's so slow to do anything.

....It was branded Norelco or Sharp or something like that. Weighed a ton. Used a sliding carriage that you could load up with 8-10 tapes. Each tape would be advanced over the transport slot, and gravity feed to the transport below.

Philips sold their decks under the Norelco brand in the US, so it sound like the predesessor (?) of the Philips N2408 i showed earlier

LTA_3399.JPG

I have two. Their very nice for playing back books on tape which I have a lot. For Halloween one year I played some Suspense and Inner Sanctum old time radio shows. Sometimes I just put in old mix tapes that I recorded and let it rip.

Well, since I had to buy it anyway, I found it kinda interesting. I have it hooked up in my system along with my other tape deck, just for the novelty of it. I does work well though and sounds pretty good.

Herman

Philips sold their decks under the Norelco brand in the US, so it sound like the predesessor (?) of the Philips N2408 i showed earlier

LTA_3399.JPG

Yea-really don't remember the brand-just that it was not one of the mainstream brands that was to come-like Sony or Technics, etc.

The tapes were loaded onto a moving carriage-similar to the video posted here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgTuzDQokdk . The difference was that the carriage was exposed-right on top, so all you had to do was drop a cassette into a slot. They could be removed anytime, unless actually in the playing well below. Pretty simple and effective design really. I do imagine that it would only play one side of each tape, before moving onto the next one. Auto reverse was not likely around at the time (my guess-1974 +/-) The carriage area had a lift off cover-sort of like a butter dish.

I have the SONY MTL-10 with a Silver Face and you're right all the 10 Cassettes have to be turned to play on the other side.I use mine all the time and it works and plays great:)

I have two of them. One is in the den and the other is in the garage. Even have the remote control for one of them. I like mine a lot. Load up 6 C-90 cassettes and push the relay then play buttons and I have 9 hours of continuous music. They sound pretty good and work very well. Ingenious mechanism.
Rick

Wurlitzer had a short lived Cassette based jukebox. Didn't really catch on though. Developed not long before the original US Wurlitzer company went defunct. Their record changer design they used for many years got replaced by the Wurlamatic which many of the late Americana models used. Many had issues while in warranty. And Wurlitzer had the disadvantage of not having background music service to test new concepts and mechanisms in which meant paying routemen and customers got to see these fail in high numbers which sank Wurlitzer.

Back to the cassette changers. Pioneer had one of the best of the lot which had fewer issues than the earlier units. Philips and Sony had 1960's changers which had a lot of jamming and other issues. Sony later on sometime in the 1980's did release another cassette changer which was expensive but was pretty good and reliable.

WOW i like this one :D

I bet the cassette gets pushed down?

Panasonic RS-296US

25%2Bcassette%2Bchanger.jpg

There was even an 8 track version using that concept. Originally Qatron, later Telex. Unlike the cassette version, the 8 track one didn't really work well consistently - because, unlike cassettes, 8 track shells were all different, so many shell designs wouldn't drop properly. Fun to watch, though.

There was even an 8 track version using that concept. Originally Qatron, later Telex. Unlike the cassette version, the 8 track one didn't really work well consistently - because, unlike cassettes, 8 track shells were all different, so many shell designs wouldn't drop properly. Fun to watch, though.

First time ive seen one of these...i WANT!!!!!!!!!!:drool:

Back
Top Bottom