1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Pioneer Cassette Player CT-F-7171

Discussion in 'Tape' started by StanleyM, Feb 11, 2018.

1. StanleyM

StanleyM New Member

I picked up aPioneer Cassette Deck, model CT-F7171 along with some other units for a 100 bucks including a Dual 1229Q Turntable. The belts are shot on the deck so I took it apart and used some rubber bands just to see if it would play. Now it keeps blowing the motor fuse, I could get it to play and FF but that is it. Did I put it back together wrong? Any help is welcomed!!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. inductor

inductor Super Member

never had a problem with fuse blowing with a 7171, must be something unusual, dont remember there being a fuse to the motor ?

3. StanleyM

StanleyM New Member

If you open it up there is a bank of 4 fuses, there is a 1 amp, 2 ea. .500 amp and the one for the motor is .800 or .850 amps. As soon as I cut the power on it blows. I checked the fuse to ground and it was OL. Thanks for replying I would really like to get this unit up and running.

4. inductor

inductor Super Member

thats not shown in the service manual i have, anyhoo, motor is probably goosed, did you mean it blows when you switch it off ?, had another look at the manual and yes it was lurking furtively, (me mistook)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  5. StanleyM

StanleyM New Member

No blows fuse when power is turned on. I don't believe the motor gets power due the fuse blowing before I can push Play FF or Rewind.

6. inductor

inductor Super Member

check the diodes and capacitor for shorts, and\or disconnect the motor and see if it still blows

7. StanleyM

StanleyM New Member

on the power supply?

8. StanleyM

StanleyM New Member

Ok I will let you know my findings, maybe I will get lucky and see the obvious problem. Thanks for your help!!

9. inductor

inductor Super Member

yes the psu

10. StanleyM

StanleyM New Member

OK took a look at this circuit looks like it could be a diode or cap now I just have to locate this circuit.
    upload_2018-2-15_7-57-6.png

11. inductor

inductor Super Member

the psu is the small board to the back of the chassis if i remember correct

12. StanleyM

StanleyM New Member

Ok, thanks!! I will check it out when I get home this afternoon. Thanks again for all your help!! I have several old Pioneer Receiver's, have you ever repaired any?

13. inductor

inductor Super Member

have i ? lost count but then i wasnt counting

14. StanleyM

StanleyM New Member

Good one!! So I found the short in the player, when I installed rubber bands on the spindles I put the play switch on the wrong side of the switch actuator shorting out the switch. I picked the player unit it up put on the other side and walla I turned the power on and the fuse did not blow even pushed play and the motor turned. Now I have a bigger issue I removed the dolby processor board while hunting for he psu. Once you told me where to look I was securing the dolby board back down and cracked a glass resistor I guess is what it is. I took a close up pic of it and was going to post but my phone died. It is located on the right channel. I tried to find the number for the component it but no luck. I am gonna get my loop out and look at the board and see if I can see a number for the component in question. I know I have thanked you for your help but I would like to thank you again. Answering peoples questions takes time so I am grateful.

15. StanleyM

StanleyM New Member

OK got a pic of the component that I broke this pic is from the left side, I would imagine the right is exactly the same Dolby Processor

Attached Files:

16. inductor

inductor Super Member

thats a diode

17. StanleyM

StanleyM New Member

Thanks, never seen one like that before, I should be able to put a meter across read the value and order one? Or does it have to be glass for a reason?

18. inductor

inductor Super Member

if you can 'measure' the diode values ? eh, might get more idea in your other post

19. inductor

inductor Super Member

a 1n4148 should do, are you sure its that one the picture looks like a germanium signal diode

20. StanleyM

StanleyM New Member

It could be, I have tried to trace it down to where It's location is. I have tried to look for some type of writing on it. I took the broke one out that was on the right channel then took the left one out on the left channel they are the same but no numbers or writing on them.