Pioneer CS-44G proper surround replacements?

rocknroller

Have this pair of vintage bookshelfs. The surrounds haven't deteriorated like typical foam. They are more of a plasticy/vinyl type. They physically look fine if you don't touch them but the surround deforms way too easy with the slightest touch of the finger. Sometimes the "reform" also seems longer than it should be, though I don't know of any hard metrics to compare against. The summary of it it that I'm concerned they aren't performing correctly as a result.

Searched the regular places for surrounds (Bay, simply speaker midwest etc) no one seems to have direct replacements for them, though I'm sure with the cone size, roll width info etc a replacement can be had. I guess I have three questions:
1) Are these surrounds not meant to be replaced and instead sealed/stiffened (aka vintage klhs/ars etc..)
2) If not, does anyone know a source that has a direct replace for them, vs something just generically close based on size parameters I would gather?
3) or is this simply normal for these speakers and all is fine?

IMG_7767[1].JPG

It certainly does "look" fine, until you touch it. Then it's apparent (at least to me) how flimsy and weak it is. Most foams, as you run your finger around (and usually requiring some force) deform only where your finger touches. This one deforms for inches in both directions. push hard enough (which is not hard at all) and the surround "sticks" ion the downward position for moment or two before reshaping. There's no other way for me to describe it, it just feels extremely "weak"

Since you are looking for input I will throw my 2 cents in.

1) I would not replace the surround's unless required, such as a tear or hole in them. I also do not recommend putting any sealant on them. No replacement or sealer.

2) If replacement was necessary than a search using standard parameters should provide a generic replacement, but proper function would be degraded.

3) I believe that your surround's are just fine and do not require replacement.

I have seen many driver's that use what appears to me as a type of thin cloth with some type of coating added to provide proper functionality for the specific driver. My opinion would be to leave them alone and enjoy them for what they are.

Back
Top Bottom