Pioneer CS 922a What is their Value and Are They Any Good?

Analog-Mike

Can anyone tell me the value of a set of Pioneer CS 922a... still in factory box, with packing foam and speaker covers? Are they any Good? Due to the LED's and power adjustment knobs...I assume they are not true Analog speakers is this true?

They are just normal speakers. Those LED's were an 80's thing that Pioneer and a few other companies did for some reason. They aren't really anything that spectacular overall and don't really compare to the HPM's or the older CS series (although those are questionable at times). Not my cup of tea nor many others. Still, someone might like them...somewhere.

Pioneer CS 922a

Thanks for the info!

I noticed that the controls allow you to dial up how much power you want to use... I'm going to test them and let everyone know this coming weekend.

I agree that the LED's is nothing but flash. Heck, I can get that on my 9900z; so, I don't need it duplicated on the speaker.

I decided to forget the cost and get these speakers. They appeared in almost NEW condition. And I got them from another G.I. who had them stored and decided to get rid of them for a pittance. I'm ashamed to tell how little I paid for them. He told me how much they cost and I couldn't believe he was giving them away.

Apparently these speakers were not made for the American market but for the German market and that's where the seller purchased them. I got them home... still in factory box, foam cushion, wood floor stand and silver cover over the speakers. I did my ear test first... pushing them with a 9900z, then a QRX-5500 and a regular 5500. Then I up the ante and tried them on my panasonic DVD Player; then the Rt-909, my turntable and amp them with a Sansui 9900. I tried every combination in the book... I switched between my JBL 4311B and the 922a... and I said I had a problem. Which ones to get rid of... or keep them both. I have a back up CS99a that is going to stay here until I die or they die. Seldom do I run across a set of speakers that are almost new. The only thing that didn't impress me was the LED's... pretty but I didn't need them.

After 40 years of listening and tinkering... I'll tell anyone these speaker are G-G-G-Great...!!

I had a pair of CS-922a. Purchased new from PX. I took them all over the world in hold baggage through the years. It wasn't until I was retired and now with kids, did they poke their fingers through the speakers. Rendering them to boxes. They were good speakers to me. Kinda boomy but when lifted off the floor sounded good. I still have the cabinets and will possibly repopulate them. Don't know.

CS922a

Thanks for the confirmation...

How much did you pay for your set.

In Spain, I remember everyone was crazy over the new Bose 501's. Quad and Surround Sound was the "In Thing." But I remember those 501's and they spoke to you... I mean, you could hear things that other speakers just couldn't produce from the media. The signals were virtually pure with very little distortion. I didn't know the 922a's came out of Germany market.

My pair came with a set of wood stands... about 4" high that lifted the speakers off the floor. They make a difference in the sound.

Last edited:
I bought a pair of similar speakers in Germany at the BX.. they were the CS-703 speakers.. very similar, only they had a ribbon tweeter in them, instead of the two cone tweets.

cs-703.jpg

I really liked mine a hell of a lot.. I've had a lot worse sounding speakers in my life.

A couple years ago I was at a guys house that had a pair of the 703's, and I forgot how good they did sound.

A lot of people around here will take one look and say Kabuki and say they are trash, but I also know those people are only judging them by their looks...

Definitely not Kabuki...

Hello Fellows,

Anyone saying that these speakers are Kabuki... or just trash... haven't heard them; especially with quality gear.

Not sure what "kabuki" is in reference to speakers. I just picked up a pair of Pioneer CS-922a speakers for $100. I am listening to them now, and I like them. I don't love them, but I like them, and getting them off the ground does make a big difference. They're a good party or rock speaker, and they take up a lot less space than my Vegas. You can even wall mount them, because they're front ported. (On either side of the horn).

They are a little boomy, and the 15 inch woofer is too big for the enclosure. But remarkably they still sound quite good. And the look is love or hate, at least with the grills off. I am happy with my purchase. :)

Charles.

Does anyone have a pair of the CS-922A that they want to sell. I've got a pair that was my father in laws and i'd really like to get them up and going again. Just about all components are shot, but they hold sentimental value to my wife and I. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Does anyone have a pair of the CS-922A that they want to sell. I've got a pair that was my father in laws and i'd really like to get them up and going again. Just about all components are shot, but they hold sentimental value to my wife and I. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Become a Subscriber, support this great website and post a WTB (Want to Buy) thread in Barter Town.

Done! :) When i go to a post in the barter town section i get this message :
(You have insufficient privileges to reply here.)

Anyone know why?

I just got a pair of these from a co-worker who is retiring and moving across country. The foam surrounds are dust, but they otherwise work. I think I'll re-foam them, even though they're a bit beat-up. I'm thinking for 1970's rock, these things may actually rock with all those drivers. They are very heavy compared with the size of the box they're in.

Back
Top Bottom