Pioneer CS-99A Question (And Score)

Marantzaholic

I happenned to luck up this week and find a perfectly functioning pair of Pioneer CS-99A's at the SA. They were bundled with a nice Yamaha R-700 receiver in perfect shape (except for a missing treble knob) and a decent Kenwood dual cassette deck. The whole setup only cost $65. Needless to say, I jumped all over it.

The good news is that the speaker drivers are all working and in like new shape. The bad news is the cabinets are shot. I mean completely (or nearly so) unrestoreable. Tons of scratches, couple of patches of veneer missing, etc....

So... I am thinking about building a new cabinet around the old one, with one exception. Since the back panel is screwed on, I was wondering if it would be feasable to extend the new cabinet back a few more inches (for increased bass response.)

Is this a good idea or a recipe for disaster? The CS is an infinite baffle design, which seems to be similair to an air suspension design. The woofer has a stiffer spider, however. Anyway, how about it speaker gurus? Will making the internal volume of the cabinet ruin the bass? It seems to me that the cabinet, while very solidly contructed, is not deep enough to let the woofer breathe. I am thinking another cubic foot or so of space would let the woofer reach a little deeper. I am not an engineer, though, so any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

By the way, even with the cabinets roughed up, the sound is very pleasing. Very efficient speakers, and a nice warm tonal balance. I honestly did not expect very much from them but was surprised at the detail and honesty of the sound. They are definitely worth keeping.

Chris...

I agree with Mad Pioneer. The 99A's are a very good sounding speaker as they sit. You want more bass... just get a bigger amp and run more power to them, they can take it. My 2 pennies...

Jon:)

The CS-99A plays plenty deep. They are a very, very fine sounding speaker system. I played them long and loud for years and never suffered listening fatigue.
If you do a search here, I posted pix of their sales brochure. You'll also find plenty of comments about the 99A.

Reveneer them. They'll look good, and you'll not have possibly messed up their sound.

Back
Top Bottom