mymonkey

I just picked up a pair of CS a500's for next to nothing. The Boxes and grills are gorgeous, the woofers and mids are in tact and the tweeter foam is rotted as should be expected. One speaker is clear and sounds good - putting out strong sound in the "full range" setting (these speakers have full range, 2 chan and 3 chan imputs & selector switch). The other speaker is giving intermittent full signal sound in the full range setting and cuts out to a muffled whisper. 2 and 3 channel inputs in this speaker give a full signal sound but i am not working with a two channel amp and i only have one set of wires coming to that speaker. Those inputs work, but are not ideal with my amp. I have deox'd the channel switch pot as well as the high, med, low pot on the front of the speaker with limited success. I might get decent sound for a minute or two but the speaker in question slips to that whisper in a short time. Any advice here? Why would the full range input be intermittent? is the channel selector switch shot? should i try to split my signal to utilize the 2 channel input. I am a newbee to working on equipment but i am hoping to learn. I know these speakers are decent and even with the rotted tweeter foam they sound good (I will replace the surrounds) but i would love to make them 100% and gift them to a friend. Please help.

So, i did my first refoam job on the CS A500 tweeters and it was relatively simple. Cleaned them up, centered the surrounds as close as i could get them and glued them up, gasket and all. Not a bad job i think . Now, can anyone give me an opinion of these speakers. I will listen to the finished product tomorrow but im interested in some new opinions about these speakers. I would only use these as a B set of speakers but my first reaction is, they sound decent, look great and seem to be well made. Don't know anything about the quality of the horns or the three channel capabilities these things have. Research is mixed opinions but i got mine for $25 and i have another $20 into tweeter surrounds. Thinking about gifting these to a friend with a vintage Pioneer setup, low watt's. Anyway, a response would be greatly appreciated.

I responded to your other thread just now, but I would recommend a couple more deoxit treatments to the controls on those speakers. Cycle the switch/pot many times while the deoxit is in there and then flush it again to wash out dirt.

Back
Top Bottom