Pioneer CS-A700 v CS-R700

Discussion in 'Pioneer Audio' started by welcomdmat, Jul 8, 2018.

1. welcomdmat

welcomdmat AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hello --

I posted this earlier as a question on upgrading speakers, but I am not sure that the title was clear enough on what I was looking at, so I am re-posting rather than bumping.

I have a pair of Pioneer CS-a700s that I have enjoyed for a few years. I tend to listen at pretty low volumes, and they have the ability to give an etherial sound and depth to much of my music. I recently demo'd some ADS speakers, and they did not have the sound I was looking for.

I have the opportunity to purchase a very nice pair of CS-r700s. They are roughly the same size, they have a lower sensitivity, and they have a horn midrange. Both have the FB cones.

Has anyone owned both of these speakers to compare them? I am not sure what aspect it is that I prize in the a700s. I do keep using them after checking out other speakers.

Would the r700 be a step forward or simply a step in another direction?

I have changed most pieces in my system a number of times over, but my speakers have stayed the same.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

2. JamVal

JamVal Super Member

I've had neither, but I do have a set of A500's little brother to your A700's and I love mine. I prefer them to my CS-99A. I had an opportunity to buy a set of A700's, but when I went to audition them there was a problem with one of them.

I'm not familiar with the R700's, I think the A700's are not common and maybe less so the R700's so finding someone that has had both for comparison might be rare.

Looking at the specs on HiFi engine, my first reaction is that the R700 is a bass reflex (ported), where I believe your A700's are sealed acoustic suspension. So the R700's may have more boom in the bass.
    https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/pioneer/cs-a700.shtml
    https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/pioneer/cs-r700.shtml

The horn tweeters look to be close to the same; CS-A700 has the PT-405F, CS-R700 has the PT-406F, and you pointed out the horn mid range in the R700.

If the weights are correct on HiFi engine the R700's are 23KG vs 16.9KG for the A700's

According to http://akdatabase.org/Pioneer/Speaker Systems.htm
    The A700 appeared in 1970 and were $179
    The R700 appeared in 1972 and were $230

I'm thinking definitely a step in a different direction, but possibly a step up also.

Do you have the opportunity to audition the R700's before deciding?

3. kydog

kydog AK Subscriber Subscriber

In this case I would need to demo both sets against each other to feel comfortable. I do own the CS- R700 & love them at any volume.

4. welcomdmat

welcomdmat AK Subscriber Subscriber

I believe I can set up a demo of the CS-R700s in my home. The person I would be buying them from is someone that I trust to be honest about their condition, and he feels they have led a well cared-for life.

If I am able to get things organized, I will post my impressions.

5. bberkom

bberkom AK Subscriber Subscriber

I really like my CS-A700’s. They’re nice and efficient, the cabs are really nice, and the drivers and crossovers are quality. I recapped mine with Dayton polys and changed out the wimpy spring connectors for some real bonding posts, and they sound great!

6. JamVal

JamVal Super Member

I almost had one of those 'good karma' moments today.
    After hitting some yard sales I stopped in a local GW store. On the bottom shelf of a cart that had just been brought out from the donation room sat 2 large speakers, real walnut veneer. They didn't look in very bad shape, nothing that some light sanding wouldn't fix. I slid one out from the cart, heavy beast, and looked at the name plate above the rear connectors - 'Pioneer CS-R700'. Priced at $15.

The grills on these are 2 piece, one covers the horns, the other the woofer. Horns looked good. Pulled the bottom grill - ugh - some 3rd party automobile subwoofer in place of what should have been there. I opened the other one, and nothing but a hole with 2 wires hanging out.

Sometimes karma can be a tease.

welcomdmat likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.