Pioneer CS series speakers

tmccullough

You are who, who you are
I have my eyes on some CS77 and CS44G speakers. I dig the looks, and I figure a three way speaker (77's) has to be better than a two way, right? I've heard differing things about them. I'm sure listening to them myself is the way to go, but I just thought I'd get some opinions. Right now I have some Advent Graduates being pushed by a Sansui 4000. I should have my new-to-me Pioneer SX1000TA shortly, so I can tinker with that as well. I've got a set of JBL L20t3 I need to clean up, too. Still, I'm a sucker for the grills, even though I probably have no place to put them... yet...

I picked up a pair of CS-77s about 6 months ago and just recapped them....many do not like them...I do like mine however. They are an acquired taste....I run them with my tube amp....they are very efficient and loud....but do not work with everything. There is something about their sound that appeals to me cannot quite explain it....they can be very bright at times....but at the same time the detail and separation of the vocals and instruments is very pronounced. They are good for low volume listening rather than loud rock and roll. One thing is that I have never found them to sound thin....the sound stage is very 3D....but can be crisp and fatiguing at times....

Last edited:
The CS-77, 88 and 99 series not too many people like them. I own a pair of CS-88A's and I did not like them at first, but after a while they tend to grow on me. There okay to have as long as you don't pay too much for them.

I have a set of Leak Sandwich two-ways that blow my mind.

I had a set of CS-33As that were pretty good, but nowhere near the Leaks. Ultimately the best thing to do is buy both and then take your time and pick one set to keep.

I agree, three ways do not mean they are better than a two way system, just ask the Dynaco fans...

I have a pair of CS-66Gs and I find them exceptional. Not as tight as my Dynaco A-25s but a smooth rich sound that I enjoy in my advanced years. I Don't find them to present a defined sound stage though.

They make good test speakers with unknow amps if you don't want to fry a good pair of speakers.. I use a pair of Sansui SP-100's for that duty. Pretty much an equal to the Pioneer 77's

I have a pair of CS-A500 three ways with a 10 inch woofer . They have alnico magnets on all their drivers . They reproduce a very mellow and easy listen . Very nice with jazz and orchestral music . I don't believe hard driving music is their strong point . But man can they do the delicate sounds at low levels and very efficient . Try your speakers with the music you like . If you're into rock or rap you probably wont like them . And check to see if they have alnico magnets . Some can hear the difference , some can't . I can hear the difference and I like the sound of full nico speakers .

Back
Top Bottom