1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Pioneer CT-91a

Discussion in 'Tape' started by Trekkie4, Nov 30, 2018.

1. Trekkie4

Trekkie4 Active Member

So, I got this tape deck couple of days ago, a fine piece of machinery if I may say so :)
    [​IMG]

Oddly enough, it would seem that the former owner never serviced it before, meaning that all 3 belts were stretched to the point where it couldn't cycle through the operations, or even eject the door tray. It was a tricky job, had to take apart the entire frame but in the end I took care of the problem & both capstans are now driving tape the way they should. Door tray also ejects fine, including the head lifting operation, HOWEVER during the testing phase I've noticed yet another problem ... it would seem that the idler wheel, for the pickup spools (rewind, ff, play) is having serious problems with the rubber tire which not only is deformed but tends to slip. What probably happened is that 91a sat for a very long time unused. And since only one side of the rubber wheel was pressed against the motor pulley, it developed a small hole, a dent in the rubber ring which is now causing trouble.

Rubber-renewing chemical took care of the grip (friction) problem for now, but as I keep on playing tapes, this problem gets more & more pronounced, especially during a "cold start", when you first play the tape after the unit hasn't been used for several hours which is why I decided to consult with you guys. Any idea how to remove idler wheel on Pioneer CT91a, without taking apart literally the entire mechanical deck, "motor" assembly I guess you could call it? Replacing belts was a straightforward job, which I felt fully confident doing myself, but disassembling everything would be a major PITA, not sure I'd like to risk something like that on a $1,000 deck. Or shall I just give it up & pay for professional repairs?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Trekkie4

Trekkie4 Active Member

Status update, idler wheel tire replaced.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I would like to thank @OlyDan for his prompt reaction & help regarding this matter :beerchug: