Pioneer CT-F6262 Issue With Left Channel

RichmondMark

Hey there...somewhat new to the forum...casual reader and first time poster. So I'm not sure I'm posting this in the correct place.

At any rate, I recently picked up a Pioneer CT-F6262 tape deck. I cleaned it up and was happy to find that it generally sounds pretty good. However, I have been having a random issue where the left channel suddenly turns to an annoying loud hum...it is loud and pegs the left meter. It will persist until I stop the tape. If I remove the tape I can immediately reinsert it and the problem will be gone.

Any idea what would cause this somewhat random issue. I often will make it through an entire cassette without it happening. But when it happens it is unsettling.

<<sound of crickets>> Ok...well, no replies. So, I messed around with it a little more. I went back in and worked the demagnitizer over all the metal surfaces in the tape path. For whatever reason...it no longer is making the humming noise periodically. I played through a few tapes (a few hours) with no issues. Interesting...I had read about the pitfalls of not demagnitizing but I never saw anything like the loud humm/buzz I was experiencing as a potential problem/symptom. Then again, maybe the problem just went away on its own, had nothing to due with the demagnitizing, and will resurface in the future. Who knows?

<<sound of crickets>> Ok...well, no replies. So, I messed around with it a little more. I went back in and worked the demagnitizer over all the metal surfaces in the tape path. For whatever reason...it no longer is making the humming noise periodically. I played through a few tapes (a few hours) with no issues. Interesting...I had read about the pitfalls of not demagnitizing but I never saw anything like the loud humm/buzz I was experiencing as a potential problem/symptom. Then again, maybe the problem just went away on its own, had nothing to due with the demagnitizing, and will resurface in the future. Who knows?

Likely you just need to squirt a little Deoxit D5 into the rec-play slide switch (or switches) and work from play to rec to play position a few times. Don't remember if that deck has one or two rec-play slide switches but should be obvious when you take the cover off.

Thanks...I'll give that a shot too. Taking the cover off shortly to experiment with some veneer work I think. Should be fun. Thanks again...

I know this is an old thread, but it helped me localize the problem on a ct-f7070, that I got for free off of a relative. The symptoms were the same, one channel randomly cutting to a very loud hum and maxing the vu-meter. Both channels did it seemingly at random. I cleaned both slider switches underneath the main circuitboard with some crc contact cleaner, they moved a bit stiffly at first and after a few moves started sliding much easier. The problem seems to be gone.

Just wanted to thank you for the help! :)

Back
Top Bottom