1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Pioneer CT-F7171 Auto Stop Troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Tape' started by mmcc, Aug 12, 2018.

1. mmcc

mmcc AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hi - I have a Pioneer CT-F7171 that I am trying to revive.

When I received it, it wouldn't lock into any of the functions, i.e. Play, ffwd, rewind. I'd push the button and it would immediately go back to the stopped state. Sometimes, it might turn for a second when being put into play.

I replaced all the belts and tires, and it is still doing the same thing.

This sounds similar to this old thread I found: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/pioneer-ct-f7171-automatic-stop-failure.109914/

Are there things I should be checking before looking at components on the circuit board? Are there any switches that may need cleaning?

Please register to disable this ad.

2. mmcc

Bump with additional information...

I had a blown fuse, which I have now replaced.
    I cleaned out the little spring switches that are actuated when putting it into pause, play, reverse, and ffwd. I sprayed some deoxit in them and sanded the contacts with 1000 grit sandpaper.

Now it will go into Play, but will still not go into fast foward or reverse.
    When it gets to the end of a side while in Play, it does not auto stop.

Any suggestions?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
  3. mmcc

Here's the current situation...

I tested the caps in the motion detection circuit and one tested bad. I removed it, and outside the circuit it tested fine. I replaced it anyway.

I discovered that Fast Forward and Reverse weren't working, in part, because the idlers weren't moving like they should. I freed up the pivots of the arms they sit on with a little IPA. Isopropyl alcohol, not India Pale Ale.

So, here's the current situation:

It will go into Play, but it does not auto stop.
    It will go into Fast Forward, but something periodically gets hung up. When that happens, the auto stop solenoid fires and it stops. If I hold down the Fast Forward button, it will Fast Forward indefinitely.
    It will Reverse when I hold down the Reverse button, but the auto stop solenoid fires as soon as I release it.

I think the capstans (if that is the right name for the posts that go into the spools) may need lubricated. Maybe other stuff, too. What is the proper lubricant here?

Is auto stop supposed to work in Play mode? Any guesses why Auto Stop would work for fast forward and not play? Any guesses why auto stop is working overtime in Reverse mode?

4. BilboBaggins

BilboBaggins AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have the same machine but mine has a squealing sound intermittently, but not that long after I start using it. I figure it is oscillating (bad cap?) but have no idea where to start.

I would suspect the clutch assembly. What I’ve done to fix my decks is to study how it works, check YouTube, and the service guide for clues, and putting it back together and away when I get frustrated. It sometimes works.