Pioneer CT-F800 - opinions?

Discussion in 'Tape' started by F3nn3c, Feb 11, 2019.

1. F3nn3c

F3nn3c New Member

Hello:

I have a chance to get my hands on a Pioneer CT-F800 deck. It's reported as being "good cosmetically, working fine, but can benefit from a set of new belts". What would be you opinion of this particular one? Intended use would be an occasional transcribing of LPs and playback a few times a week.

Opinions, and pros/cons would be appreciated.

Dmitri

Please register to disable this ad.

2. RobRoy

RobRoy It's just stuff - but fun

I'd pay $50 for it, assuming I'd need to get a belt kit for it. I paid $25 for my CT-F1250, but that was 20 years ago, and it just lost a belt. FWIW, I paid $5 for a Nak 202 that was in perfect condition except there was a flat spot on a motor that caused it to auto-shut off all the time at the beginning of a tape. I was going to try to fix it but chose to just give it to Goodwill. I only need one tape deck.

3. maxhifi

maxhifi AK Subscriber Subscriber

Just try, if you're paying significant money for it, to make sure that "can benefit from a new set of belts" means exactly that, and not that it has irreplaceable bad parts causing similar symptoms to bad belts. There's overlapping symptoms between bad belts, bad motors, bad idlers, etc.

RobRoy likes this.
  4. F3nn3c

F3nn3c New Member

Well, I doubt I would be able to get a CT-F1250 for $50 today, leave alone $25 :) The F800 unit is being offered for $40, so I might put my name in on it... There isn't much info on this deck that I can find, but from what I understand it's the middle of the F500 - F1250 lineup, made in '78 only. Is this correct? Other than the metal tape handling capability, or a fancy blue VFD counter, anything significant that I would be missing?