Pioneer CT-F800 - opinions?

F3nn3c

Hello:

I have a chance to get my hands on a Pioneer CT-F800 deck. It's reported as being "good cosmetically, working fine, but can benefit from a set of new belts". What would be you opinion of this particular one? Intended use would be an occasional transcribing of LPs and playback a few times a week.

Opinions, and pros/cons would be appreciated.

Dmitri

Hello:

I have a chance to get my hands on a Pioneer CT-F800 deck. It's reported as being "good cosmetically, working fine, but can benefit from a set of new belts". What would be you opinion of this particular one? Intended use would be an occasional transcribing of LPs and playback a few times a week.

Opinions, and pros/cons would be appreciated.

Dmitri
I'd pay $50 for it, assuming I'd need to get a belt kit for it. I paid $25 for my CT-F1250, but that was 20 years ago, and it just lost a belt. FWIW, I paid $5 for a Nak 202 that was in perfect condition except there was a flat spot on a motor that caused it to auto-shut off all the time at the beginning of a tape. I was going to try to fix it but chose to just give it to Goodwill. I only need one tape deck.

Just try, if you're paying significant money for it, to make sure that "can benefit from a new set of belts" means exactly that, and not that it has irreplaceable bad parts causing similar symptoms to bad belts. There's overlapping symptoms between bad belts, bad motors, bad idlers, etc.

Well, I doubt I would be able to get a CT-F1250 for $50 today, leave alone $25 :) The F800 unit is being offered for $40, so I might put my name in on it... There isn't much info on this deck that I can find, but from what I understand it's the middle of the F500 - F1250 lineup, made in '78 only. Is this correct? Other than the metal tape handling capability, or a fancy blue VFD counter, anything significant that I would be missing?

Well, I doubt I would be able to get a CT-F1250 for $50 today, leave alone $25 :) The F800 unit is being offered for $40, so I might put my name in on it... There isn't much info on this deck that I can find, but from what I understand it's the middle of the F500 - F1250 lineup, made in '78 only. Is this correct? Other than the metal tape handling capability, or a fancy blue VFD counter, anything significant that I would be missing?

Not sure if you bought it or not. I know this is an old thread but my thoughts, I have owned mine since new. I put it on layaway in 1979 at local stereo store and finally got in june of 1980 when i graduated high school. It was their entry level 3-head deck, dual capstan and no metal tape capability. It records on standard, ferrochrome and chrome tapes. I made lots of recordings and it sounded great. replaced the belts, pinch rollers and idler tire in mid 90s when originals went bad. used for another 15 years then put in storage.

I just pulled off shelf in basement and it has a solenoid which is trying to engage and preventing anything else from functioning. The belts I installed in mid 90s are still good. Going to take to a local tech and have repaired then selling it. As long as parts are available these are solid well built decks. I just picked up a ctf-950 at auction locally and am now using it in my silver collection.

Not sure if you bought it or not. I know this is an old thread but my thoughts, I have owned mine since new. I put it on layaway in 1979 at local stereo store and finally got in june of 1980 when i graduated high school. It was their entry level 3-head deck, dual capstan and no metal tape capability. It records on standard, ferrochrome and chrome tapes. I made lots of recordings and it sounded great. replaced the belts, pinch rollers and idler tire in mid 90s when originals went bad. used for another 15 years then put in storage.

I just pulled off shelf in basement and it has a solenoid which is trying to engage and preventing anything else from functioning. The belts I installed in mid 90s are still good. Going to take to a local tech and have repaired then selling it. As long as parts are available these are solid well built decks. I just picked up a ctf-950 at auction locally and am now using it in my silver collection.

Indeed, this thread is just over two years old by now :) But, strictly for the record - yes, I did end up buying it, changed the belts, cleaned it up, and it worked... But the head was a bit worn out, and I finished by selling it. I have acquired a CT-F700 shortly after that, had it properly serviced by Dan Barham, and now am listening to it almost every weekend, powered by an SX-650.

One day I might decide to assemble a "Fluoroscan" set as well, for for the time being I am enjoying a warm glow of analogue VU meters :)

Back
Top Bottom