Pioneer ct-f9191 FF/REW Fix

markthefixer

On Hiatus, hospitalized and NOT doing Clutches
Subscriber
edit - that wasn't the fix... it was a kludge...
see this thread for a REAL fix: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/ff-rew-fix-ctf-8282-9191-1000-rxa-581-not-diy.292583/

Been working with a spare deck. Got it figured out, including a fix.

This is not for the mechanically dis-inclined or the faint of heart. It involves considerable dis-assembly of the removed transport mechanism, getting the solenoid and ff/rew motor out of the way, and probably the capstan drive motor too. The spring I mention later will take a little searching to find something that works (I'm not happy enough with the spring I am using now to recommend it to anyone, it dwarfs the original, and is connected to a motor mount due to its size, I'm still looking for better.)

First off, there are NO BELTS involved in either Fast Forward or Rewind. There are 3 Belts in the unit.

First belt goes from the dc (speed controlled) motor to the capstan/flywheel shaft.

Second belt goes from the take up reel to the tape motion sensor.

The third belt goes from the tape motion sensor(different pulley, same shaft) to the mechanical tape counter pulley.

The take-up reel is driven by a moveable idler tire between the capstan shaft and the take-up reel. There are 2 sets of brakes. One is permanent, the other is solenoid controlled.

All the above refers to play and record.

Here is where it gets fun. There is a stationary reversible motor that drives a pencil eraser sized rubber wheel.

There is an idler tire that has freedom of motion in two dimensions. When released by the solenoid the idler is pulled down by a spring into that little rubber wheel.

The motor is turning either cw or ccw forcing that idler either left or right into contact with either the take-up or supply shafts, thus we get fast forward or reverse.

The idler is a complex little b*****d with 2 compression springs and a felt clutch. 2 parts of it probably snap together or are a friction fit. When it fails those 2 parts come apart and allow the clutch spring tension to be transmitted to the shaft mount for the whole shebang. The clearances are close, so the back of the assembly rubs against the arm that the shaft is mounted on. Thus it doesn't want to turn.

Taking this darn idler apart is very risky, those little parts can fly amazing distances when it gets away from you, and they WILL. I use a gallon freezer bag, big enough for my hands and the tools, and I can see what I am doing.

edit - that wasn't the fix... it was a kludge...
see this thread for a REAL fix: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/ff-rew-fix-ctf-8282-9191-1000-rxa-581-not-diy.292583/

Last edited:
Mark, I haven't forgotton you. I have not had time this last week to copy the 9191 service manual. Will do next week.

Thank You, no sweat, I'm in up to my elbows in some tektronix 475 scopes.....
(now how do they expect anybody to get de-oxit in THERE????...... :naughty: :scratch2: :thmbsp: )

Last edited:
Mark,
Not sure I entirely understood if you had found an acceptable spring or not but, aren't some of the VCR springs just about the same dims., as you called out? BTW I've never seen the inside of a 9191 but the way you describe its' operation it sounds a lot like the Sansui sc5110 I have.... it has the same idler problems as well. You may have pointed me an easy fix for that also..! Thanks

Back
Top Bottom