Pioneer CT-Fxxx decks - Poor recording, sometimes

Macdude

Hi /on/ Fidelity
This problem has plagued a few of the Pioneer cassette decks I've owned and has really lowered my enjoyment of using them. I can't be crazy, the problem is definitely there and someone else must have noticed it, too.

I've had a few units over the years. The ones I noticed this on were the following:

CT-F1000 (not one, but two different units)
CT-F8282
CT-F9191
CT-F650 (This one sounds perfect. Clear as a bell, no issues like the ones above.)

The problem... when recording certain songs or sometimes full albums, the high-end put onto the tape sounds raspy and harsh, mainly during splash cymbal hits and louder S's. Sometimes the hi-hat sounds terrible, too. I can replicate it over and over using the same records and songs. It isn't intermittent. All audio sources have caused it (LP, PC, CD). Everything runs through my Pioneer SX-1010 using no external EQ. Other decks have no such issue. Most recordings are great, but some really sound terrible when those decks are used. One record that stuck out as being the worst was a Dwight Twilley album on EMI, "Jungle", 1983/84.

I don't overdrive the unit when recording, the Peak lamps hardly ever light. I've used chrome and normal bias tapes of all makes on them. I don't recall any particular make or tape type being better or worse. On my first CT-F1000 I recapped it and adjusted the bias with little improvement. I've recorded with the MPX filter too, not much difference. Sadly it has rendered these units to the back of the list for me and as a big Pioneer lover it is unfortunate.

What could cause such a problem? For such a high end machine I feel it shouldn't have such drawbacks. Has anyone else ever noticed this with these models?

I just realized I made a thread on this topic in 2009 and some of the comments make a lot more sense now. Seems the CT-F1000 hits a sort of record level wall where it quickly begins to distort. May just be driving it too hard, even though the peak indicators aren't yet lighting.

Back
Top Bottom