Pioneer DT-510

Cobia194

In reading some of the post on the "DT" timers, I see that these timers will start to go down hill over time. I feel very fortunate but my DT-510 is now running 10 seconds faster each minute. The timer has been set to 120v and 60 Hz for the last 26 years without a problem. It's pluged directly into a power strip. Does anyone have the same problem? Does anyone know where I can get this fixed? This unit very clean and I want to keep it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Global warming....Time just slips by faster nowadays...

Unplug it from the wall, and wiggle the 50/60 hz switch back and forth a few times. If you have some Deoxit, spray a little into the switch before the "wiggle". Won't hurt to treat any other switches the same way.

Arie,
Thanks for the advice. I've unplugged the unit and spray the switch several times. I plan on leaving the unit unplugged for a couple of days. By chance do you know anyone who can repair this timer?

I had this problem with a DT-500 I purchased a few years ago. After trying Deoxit the problem still persisted. The switch was too far gone. Since I don't use the 50Hz setting I bypassed the switch and all has been well since.

I have a collection of three 500/510 timers and each had that problem. Six months ago I desoldered the 50/60hz switch from each unit and they all run on time since.

I think it quite uncertain if the switch can be cleaned whether in place or removed and then soldered back in. Just remove the switch(desolder).

I have a collection of three 500/510 timers and each had that problem. Six months ago I desoldered the 50/60hz switch from each unit and they all run on time since.

I think it quite uncertain if the switch can be cleaned whether in place or removed and then soldered back in. Just remove the switch(desolder).

You're correct. I removed it not bypassed it.

Cantabury Guy and Tripqzon,
Sorry I haven't replied earlier, been busy with the job. I had called a local repair shop and they wanted $80 bucks just to look at it. I took your advice today and de-soldered the 50/60 Hz switch. I was a little nervous trying this for the first time....Works like a champ now baby!!!!! How did you guys know the circuit would default to the 60Hz side and not the 50Hz side? Thanks a million guys, this is just awesome. I hope to get another 20 plus years out of my equipment.

Cantabury Guy and Tripqzon,
Sorry I haven't replied earlier, been busy with the job. I had called a local repair shop and they wanted $80 bucks just to look at it. I took your advice today and de-soldered the 50/60 Hz switch. I was a little nervous trying this for the first time....Works like a champ now baby!!!!! How did you guys know the circuit would default to the 60Hz side and not the 50Hz side? Thanks a million guys, this is just awesome. I hope to get another 20 plus years out of my equipment.

Quite a thrill fixing that I bet. I know I was nervous trying it and it actually didn't work (sloppy technique )the first attempt. I figured I had nothing to lose as I had spent more on DeOxit than the three units combined.

I can't take any credit for circuit knowledge as it was a post here back in May 2009 from Hoodcom that that started me. At that time I guess I was the only one with defective units to try his fix . If I remember correctly he fell upon this cure by chance. So it goes. Hope you stick around as there is a lot to learn here .

Glad it worked out for you.

When mine exhibited the problem I was pretty bummed. I knew by the symptoms that it was running at 50Hz so I took the switch out to clean it and decided to try it while the switch was out. It worked fine. After cleaning the switch I put it back in and it was acting up again. That's when I decided to just bypass it.

Excellent, thanx doods.
My DT-500 recently started gaining time and is now up to about 2 hours a day faster.
Glad its what seems to be a relatively easy fix, I'll tear into it this weekend.

creative86,
My 510 was doing the same thing. Take your time and I recommend you use a small tip heating element when desoldering the switch. Also, if you believe your blue light is too bright, now is the time to fix that also. What I did was I visited a Ziebart undercoating/window tinting shop and the manager gave me a 1" x 18" piece of 10% and 15% window tint for free and gave me tips on the application. I used the 10% first and it still projects the blue hue but much dimmer. Play around with the different shades. Took about 5 mins to cut and apply, easy job.

The timer chip control inputs are supposed to have internal pull-ups or pull-downs (I don't remember which). These internal resistors are intended to pull the input lines to definite levels when left open circuit, which is the case in one switch position or other. These resistors, or the connections to them, sometimes fail over time. External resistors can be added, and that should solve such problems. The one having to do with the speed problem is likely the 50/60 Hz input line.

Get a service manual, and a definition for the chip and figure out which way you need to pull the control line(s), and pull them there with external 10K resistors. 1/8 W resistors will do. The timer chips are not TTL, and the input control levels are unusual and tricky. Don't guess. Figure it out carefully.

Enjoy,
Rich P

THanks for the reply, I have the service manual . However, I dont have the knowlegde to understand how to read diagram but thanks. Hopefully I find someone have done this before if not I might just leave it alone.

Wow! I am glad read this tonight. I was going to toss a DT-510 tomorrow. I will fix it this weekend instead. What a neat thread!

Cheers,
David

Back
Top Bottom