pioneer DVD v7400 help needed...

jonm

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hi to all;
I've been listening to a Pioneer DVD-v7400 as a CD player. I'm simply using the audio out to my preamp as you would any CD player, and it sounds great. These have to be set up for either CD or DVD playing and mine was set up for CD. However, I'd like to try it as a transport with a DAC. So my question is how do I connect it to, say, a Topping D30 or similar, and what cable(s) do I need? Thanks, Jon

I'm not so sure you even can, based on a quick look at the back plate connections. For a conventional two-channel external audio DAC, you need one (or more) of three different types of digital outputs-USB, SPDIF (coaxial) or TosLink (optical). The only audio outs I see on that unit are analogue or PCM.

Thanks for the response. That's what I see also, yet people rave about the Pioneer connected to a DAC :dunno:

Hi, is this just an rca male to rca male? I'm pretty tech-illiterate (ahem, a luddite who prefers my Dynaco and Eico stuff) so my apologies...

Hi, is this just an rca male to rca male? I'm pretty tech-illiterate (ahem, a luddite who prefers my Dynaco and Eico stuff) so my apologies...

Yes, but better use a 75 Ohm coax, not a regular audio interconnect which might work but will not be optimal. A composite video cable (slightly thicker and usually yellow RCA plug jackets) that came with your CRT TV or VCR will work.

Cool--in this case, I am glad to stand corrected. I wasn't sure if the PCM out would be forced to use the Dolby decoding and multichannel output, rather than a 2-channel stereo output.

CDs don't have Dolby-Digital on them, but good point, to make sure Dolby-Digital isn't sent out on this output when say playing DVDs, need to also go to the settings menu and set the output to 2 channel PCM.

Looks like it might be an interesting transport. I just looked at them on Ebay, the problem is you can't tell if it's got 100 hours on it or more likely 10,000 hours on it.
Do you use a remote or a mouse?

BillWojo

It was already set up for CD playing when I got it, I just use the stereo audio out...
i think it sounds good as is, hoping for an improvement with a DAC but maybe not.

i think it sounds good as is, hoping for an improvement with a DAC but maybe not.

Being that it is more of a "professional" unit, I would be inclined to think that build and performance quality are pretty high--but that is just an assumption, and we all know what those are worth. I would think that you would have to go fairly far up the DAC "food chain" to best what's already in there, but again, that is just an assumption.

If you want to experiment with external DACs, all you need to do is grab any cheap CDP or DVD player with a digital output (you can get one new or used for a couple bucks pretty much anywhere) and go to town, so to speak.

Back
Top Bottom