Pioneer Elite

DS1784

Seems like we don't see too much activity or mention of the pioneer elite line. Stuff like the m-91 amp, the c-91 pre amp, the f-93 tuner and other items from this era, any feedback on this stuff? I have always liked the silver era components, but this seems like the next era of good gear from pioneer.

I sold a F-93 Pioneer Elite tuner a couple of months ago. I owned it for 7-8 years and it was my mainstay tuner during that time. All digital and very complicated but could pull in just about anything. High gloss finish with high gloss rosewood side panels, gold accents. The 93 was great for reception but the 91 was a much better sounding tuner. I still own 2- elite CD players, the PD 54 and the PD 65, same finish. Very pretty, the preformance was highly regarded at the time but not up to the preformance of the "big boy" stuff. Legato link processing with the Stable Platter drawer mechanism. Very stout, almost like a turntable platter.
I used to use mine with Audio Alchemy D/A conversion and anti-jitter devices, just as a transport, but not too bad as standalone devices.

I think that the Pioneer Elite gear has a bigger following for collectors overseas.

P.S. You can forget about everything I have stated above when it comes to the Elite receivers and HT equipment, I know nothing about those.
RC

You might want toask in the Pioneer Audio forum, There might be some guys that have more info on the amp's and pre-amps than me.

Last edited:
I have a VSX-45TX HT receiver and a DV-45Ai multi-format player. Both are in service and have been good solid performers. Especially the DV-45Ai, it's never missed a beat.

-dave

elite

i had the elite pd-65 for years and like a dumbass i sold it. it was a great cd player, build quality was outstanding. it is remarkable in that it is the cd player with the longest production run ever - 8yrs. still fetching 50% of original cost on ebay! still considered to be one of the best transports ever.
i always like the looks of the elite gear, however, they have moved more int he direction of hometheater and away from 2 ch stereo...

I have an Elite system, M91 amp, C-91 preamp, F-91 tuner, PD-91 CD okayer and MJ-17D mini-disc recorder. I have found them to be uniformly excellent, but not for the minimalist...lots and lots of buttons. I use them strictly for stereo, playing through JBL L100 Centurys. Physically beautiful, very well built, ultra clean sound, reliable and powerful. Never tried the silver-faced stuff (am looking for a reasonable example to compare with) but I can vouch for the Urishi finish stuff as very good indeed. After they went away from the urishi finish, I understand the quality dropped, but I have never tried any so just gossip.

Yes but

Yes but them C-90s and 91s have all them little relays that are just now getting old enough to be troublesome. . . . I have owned about 9 C-90s with the last three starting to screw up. . . Still mint cosmetically but I finally sold them to a fixer in Phoenix. . . . 14 hours on each cleaning and burnishing contacts. . . .

They are still wonderful. . . .

My 0.02 $

Ill take my pioneer Elite totl separates over any Pioneer receiver and spec. Elite are undervalued here. Seems lots of people like Low end receivers /oversized radios, which are ridiculously overpriced while top of the Line Elite (which sounds better than any Pioneer receiver and are built better) are undervalued.
Me and my Friends wouldnt pay 6000 USD for all in one radio.
And about Elite prices, well c90/m90 sounds better than sx 1050 or even sx 1980, so for me Elite separates are worth at least 2500 USD.

Back
Top Bottom