Pioneer F-91 sensitivity question

pioneernut

I need help
I recently got an F-91 off the bay, and though it sounds great, I've noticed that the strength indicator seems a bit low compared to my other tuners. I was wondering if others with an F-91 could comment on if there strength indicators peak out regularly or do you need to live 5 miles from a transmitter to achieve that. I'm wondering if something happened to the front end of mine. (lighting attack)

The details of my situation are as follows.
I live approximately 35 miles west of the main FM transmitters in Chicago(Sears Tower, Hancock building)
Most all the stations only get 3 to 4 bars out of the 8, one PBS station 10 miles away actually hits the 7th bar.
I'm using a small outdoor antenna that seems to work fine on all my other recievers(pegs the strength meters out). It has RG-6 Coax running out to it.

Thanks Mike

Signal strength meters may differ between tuners. It is adjustable. Try tuning in stations that are harder to receive with the other tuners and check to see if the F91 has any problem with them.

X

Good idea, I'll try giving that a shot tonight. I know of a couple stations that are bit weak, so this should be an interesting comparison.

- thanks, Mike

mts7471 said:
Good idea, I'll try giving that a shot tonight. I know of a couple stations that are bit weak, so this should be an interesting comparison.

- thanks, Mike

That's about all one can do with out the special test equipment needed to measure RF sensitivity. A Vs B tuner, if possible using the same antenna should help you determine which is more sensistive. You can best determine by finding weak nosiy stations that you would not normally listen to as once a station's signal is strong enough to saturate the IF limiter you cannot really hear much difference between two different tuners as far as sensitivity. The calibration of signal strengh indicators or digital 'bars' is such that there is not an indication of one tuner's sensitivity is better then the other. One may a have a better signal to noise ratio while reading a 3 on it's meter where the next tuner reads a 7.

Lefty

Lefty

F-91

mts7471 said:
I recently got an F-91 off the bay, and though it sounds great, I've noticed that the strength indicator seems a bit low compared to my other tuners. I was wondering if others with an F-91 could comment on if there strength indicators peak out regularly or do you need to live 5 miles from a transmitter to achieve that. I'm wondering if something happened to the front end of mine. (lighting attack)

The details of my situation are as follows.
I live approximately 35 miles west of the main FM transmitters in Chicago(Sears Tower, Hancock building)
Most all the stations only get 3 to 4 bars out of the 8, one PBS station 10 miles away actually hits the 7th bar.
I'm using a small outdoor antenna that seems to work fine on all my other recievers(pegs the strength meters out). It has RG-6 Coax running out to it.

Thanks Mike
there is a lil switch in the back that you can use that says channel step on top and fm demphasis on the bottom. im not sure exactly what it does, but the channel strenght meters seemed to change a lil bit when i switched it and the sound got better on my F-91. hope that helps ya :D

Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried comparing it closer to my old SX-1500TD and the F-91, both units picked up stations very similarly with good clarity. The few stations that could barely be picked up by the F-91 were worse on the old SX-1500TD. So it appears the F-91 signal strength meter has a wider operating range. But the sound quality is superb. :music:

- Mike

Back
Top Bottom