Pioneer F-93

I like the M-D's. The 93 is a Digitally Synthesized Tuner. It's not black and white. I owned an FT-101a and Etude. But for me, they've inflated themselves out of the market and the audio isn't as good (or wasn't then) as the RF was and there's better RF performance to be had. I do defend the ST-2 as a pretty good (if not economical) alternative to a roof-mounted w/rotor antenna if one doesn't have that option. I really like the ergonomics of the M-D's. But the ones I like the most are the ones I'll never afford... : - )

Since we are talking about the F-91, there is a guy selling a F-91 for just $85, should I get it ? How would you guys rank a F-91? Is the F-91 a super tuner ?

Thanks for your response, PabloTincho. I think the F-90 is surprisingly good for the money for which it can be acquired. The FM Tuner group folks (who haven't updated their review of the F-93) really like those two tuners, but I lived through that time and Pioneer was having a sort of existential crisis. One year I was looking at drool-worthy state of the FM Art tuners like the TX-9800 or 9500 II (leaving aside the transitional F- Series 20 Tuners for a minute-I own a 28 and it sounds as much like a 93 as my 91 or 449 or the 9x00's) and then all of the sudden here came the F- 90 (which I also own, but I don't own the 99x) and my disappointment was palpable. I remember hearing them in the "salon" store that opened in my hometown in the early '80's. The 90 and 99x are pretty much the same tuner with some insignificant differences. I think they're probably not as "transient" (dynamic range) blessed as the bigger, heavier dreadnaught Tuners that Pioneer's known for, but I would say the RF performance is nothing to sneeze at and probably doesn't lag too far behind the Classics. The big difference to me is the Digital tuning. I prefer analog tuners. They work the way Armstrong meant for them to work. Once we got into the "chippity doo-dah" era the sound of many tuners changed and not for the better. It's not that all Digitally Synthesized Tuners are bad, but some are and there's a certain "richness" in analog technology (complete with environmentally influenced inconsistencies like temperature drift on non-quartz-lock models) that's (to my ear) pretty hard to beat. I'm still not so old, that I can't get up and give one of those big honking inertia loaded flywheels a spin. YMMV...

I being doing some research on the Pioneers tuner, and according to the audio critic number 23 and 24
http://www.biline.ca/audio_critic/audio_critic_down.htm
the F-99x has better numbers than the F-91 and F-93, also the F-99x has 9 ceramic filters, is a masterpiece of a tuner

Since we are talking about the F-91, there is a guy selling a F-91 for just $85, should I get it ? How would you guys rank a F-91? Is the F-91 a super tuner ?
All I know is — A Sound Engineer here in LA (he worked with Doug Sax) told me the 91 is a great tuner, but avoid the 93. If he's to be believed... $85?

Back
Top Bottom