Pioneer Headphones

siamac

PIONEER VINTAGE
Here you can see the rare SE-405 with some Friends. SE-505, SE-205, SE-305 and Monitor-10 you can find on Ebay and so, but the SE-405 I never saw again!? :scratch2: :thmbsp: :scratch2:
5Phones.jpg

I don´t know. Maybe nobody bought it. Or it was build just a short time. A few month ago I got my first Pioneer catalog with the SE-405 inside. In all other catalogs, I have, the Headphone is not noticed. But buy the way, the SE-405 is nothing important a collector should have. :D

Can please somebody tell me how to join the picture Gallary (Pioneer Gallary) ? :scratch2:

I have Pioneer SE-305 that I got from a garage sale for $3. These are the greatest sounding headphones I have ever owned!! That's all I can offer to this topic.

The SE-405 are SE-305´s with Volume-Control. The SE-505 had Volume+Sound Control and had 2way-Speakers!!

I've been wanting some SE-505's for awhile now, I keep trying on the 'Bay but the same two jackasses keep sniping me... Nice to know they're well-regarded, tho. Sorry to hijack, but anybody have any opinions on how they compare to the newer Grados and Sennheisers?

I've got a pair of "like new" SE-405's myself. I won't be getting rid of those anytime soon! :thmbsp:

Retro

New guy on the block. Amazed at the Pioneer following. LOVE looking at all the vintage hardware you guys obviously cherish. Been listening through the SE-50 since the 70s. My kids laugh and tell me to get earbuds. I would except turbine engines, 105mm smooth bore cannons, and a whole lot of very good very loud rocknroll (can you spell Lynrd Skynrd?) have left me bereft in the audio canal category. Which leads me to a question: is there any way to objectively test my small advents for performance in comparison to the factory specs?

17in68 said:
New guy on the block. Which leads me to a question: is there any way to objectively test my small advents for performance in comparison to the factory specs?

Welcome to AudioKarma!
You might want to ask that Advent speaker question down in the speaker forum. You should get some responses there for sure.

Retro

I have a couple of SE-700s, which sound great to me.

I have heard rumors about some of the headphones offered by Pioneer. Part of the rumor says very few of these headphones were made, often less than one thousand. But, with the number I see available on eBay, I would tend to question that.

I have also heard that the headphones were not made by Pioneer, but by some other company, like Azden or Stax. It does seem likely that the headphones were manufactured by some other company for Pioneer, as the serial number convention on the high-end headphones offered by Pioneer does not confrom to that used on all of Pioneer's other equipment. But who made them? I have contacted Azden and Stax, and both say they did not manufacture headphones for Pioneer in the 1970s.

Anyone hear similar rumors?

Doc

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom