1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Pioneer HPM-100 Restoration Project (Veneer removal)

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Keating, Jul 9, 2018.

1. doctorolds

doctorolds AK Subscriber Subscriber

This is a great forum and I also have learned a great deal here. Thanks for giving some of your knowledge back!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Keating

Keating New Member

Been watching lots of videos for tips. I'll be using a 1/8" Mohair Roller to apply the adhesive and pros say not to use a J-Roller. Use a spatula because you can apply 8 times more force.

3. Darren James

Darren James Active Member

Truly, thank you for the documenting of your project.... little tips here and there i picked up!!

I hope I can return the favor some day. I have some JBL L36's that need...

4. Ramseybella

Ramseybella AK Member

Being on AK makes for a great crowd and look for more stuff to save from a landfill. Hope to see the results.

5. jozeppy26

jozeppy26 Active Member

You sir are preserving history and I, along with the rest of the audio world, applaud you.

6. jozeppy26

jozeppy26 Active Member

Additionally, I'm curious over the crossover work. Why update the caps at all? Original crossovers were only electrolytic to the super tweeter. I sort of feel you downgraded the caps.

7. jozeppy26

jozeppy26 Active Member

I LOVE that you kept it walnut, true to the original. I am truly in awe of your dedication to this project. I have a mint pair of the 200W model so if you need any measurements or pics etc let me know.

Keating likes this.
  8. Keating

Keating New Member

I might be hitting you up!

9. Keating

Keating New Member

I assure you this mod improved the HPM's. It's well documented on this site.

10. Keating

Keating New Member

The hardware showed up and it's a perfect match. Not as easy as you think to find these. 20180714_112102.jpg 20180714_112117.jpg

11. relich22

relich22 New Member

Really a nice job you are doing there. One of the more enjoyable I have read lately. I have been studying up on the crossover mods and can't decide follow some of the recommended mods or just replace the existing components as is. Any advice or links to infor on what you finally decided to do with yours? Thanks again for the awesome job! Enjoy!

12. Keating

Keating New Member

I'll email you a step by step project for HPM-100 crossover mod. Has everything you need and parts list too.

13. Keating

Keating New Member

Need your email address..

14. KrautNotRice

KrautNotRice AK Subscriber Subscriber

Off to a great start! Will be watching this.

15. Parabellum27

Parabellum27 New Member

16. Keating

Keating New Member

Work and home life to busy. I'll get back at it soon.

17. LenXIII

LenXIII AK Subscriber Subscriber

I was just posting with questions about restoring a pair of these and someone pointed me to your thread. Glad to see it’s a recent and on going project. Keep us updated and I’ll be following this thread. How did you end up going about the veneer removal? I think you said solvents didn’t work so what did you do? Also, I’m not very knowledable on veneer installation but 1/16” sounds thick. Will you see edges when finished because of this or will your finishing compounds blend these edges in? I know the installation order is important but still wondering. I have some 3m backed veneer in storage but not sure if it’ll be a good choice or not.

Thanks for your time and information!

Keating likes this.
  18. Keating

Keating New Member

My plan is to do a test piece and go through the entire veneer process. Then use my stains and test results. Acetone was good for the front "face" veneer strips but I used a belt sander, then orbital, then hand sanded for perfectly square edges on sides. Used my level and used wood bondo to make it true. I work for the airlines and summer flying is insane this summer. Everyone has money lately. The key is the glue. If its lumpy you will have lumpy veneer. No spray glue. Using gel glue and rolling it on. An expert advised this.

Spiceman50 likes this.
  19. Keating

Keating New Member

Send me your email.