Pioneer HPM-100

rxonmymind

Missed them by minutes! Dang. All four of them for $750. I just wanted to buy to listen to them to see what all the bruhaha is about. Dang.00J0J_bKxPZY04kUl_600x450.jpg

Trust me you are not missing anything I would not pay $750.00 for 40 pairs of them. Take that $750.00 and wait for a pair of Yamaha NS1000M's the ONLY speaker I have ever heard that truly lived up to the hype for the average $$ spent sure there are better speakers then the Yamaha's but unlikely to find for the same kind of money.

Regards Snow

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip. Maybe one day I'll be able to hear them. I'll keep a lookout for those Yamaha speakers.
You may actually like them, taste in speaker sound is very subjective but I doubt you would I think that most people who say good things about them simply do not want to call their baby ugly or just have never heard a really good set of speakers. They sound like Kabuki style speakers think of the various Sansui's and others that have multiple drivers, they really do not do anything very well. The Yamaha NS1000's and 1000M's have the very best imaging I have ever heard and the treble and mid range is incredible the bass however is a bit lacking but if paired with a quality musical sub woofer would be hard to beat without spending thousands more. If a fellow could build slightly bigger cabinets the bass would improve especially if they changed out the woofers to some JBL 128H drivers which had the flattest response of any JBL 12' woofer or the JBL 2214H woofer which would have better power handling and have better bass but not as flat a response as the 128H.

Regards Snow

Last edited:
You may actually like them, taste in speaker sound is very subjective but I doubt you would I think that most people who say good things about them simply do not want to call their baby ugly or just have never heard a really good set of speakers. They sound like Kabuki style speakers think of the various Sansui's and others that have multiple drivers, they really do not do anything very well.
Hogwash

Rich P

They're great for dorm room parties, military barracks music battles and trips down memory lane but that's about it. :)

HPM-100 cannot be Kabiki by the very Kabiki definition - below 50 lb and 5+ drivers.

HPM-100 are 60 lb speakers.

They really have only 3 drivers. The super-tweeter is for show only since no one can hear it anyway, unless he's a dolphin, or a bat, or a hard-core audiophile, 30kHz.
This was a nice "sign of times", when super-tweeter must be there, just for show.

As for Yamaha NS-1000M, they are very nice. I sold them because I don't like black speakers, purely aesthetic reason. Also woofer shifting magnet is no fun to deal with.
I still keep beautiful walnut HPM-100.

As for original question, 2 pairs for $750, it's impossible to answer without knowing condition. Condition is everything.

HPM-100 cannot be Kabiki by the very Kabiki definition - below 50 lb and 5+ drivers.

They really have only 3 drivers. The super-tweeter is for show only since no one can hear it anyway, unless he's a dolphin, or a bat, or a hard-core audiophile, 30kHz.
This was a nice "sign of times", when super-tweeter must be there, just for show.

As for Yamaha NS-1000M, they are very nice. I sold them because I don't like black speakers, purely aesthetic reason. Also woofer shifting magnet is no fun to deal with.
I still keep beautiful walnut HPM-100.

As for original question, 2 pairs for $750, it's impossible to answer without knowing condition. Condition is everything.
I said they sound like Kabuki speakers not that they are Kabuki speakers by Don Mc R's definition. The point I wanted to make more then anything else is that if you are looking to buy speakers that sound good IMHO keep looking there are many over rated audio items out there. If you are looking to collect the iconic types that are needed to complete a collection then yes you need to buy a pair along with the JBL-L100 Centurys and the AR3 speakers IMHO these speakers are also very over hyped and over priced for sound quality.

But I buy audio gear for 2 reasons 1. I am looking for the best sounding gear I can afford to listen too. 2. I am looking to buy gear to re sell for a profit so I can afford to buy better sounding gear.

Regards Snow

I get what your saying Snow and nostalgia plays a HUGE part in speaker myth. Also it's important to match up the speakers to the music you listen too. In my case I listen to a lot of jazz which the Klipsch Belle's excell at. Horns sound like horns. Mids & bass aren't bad. But ask it to keep up with Slipknot drummer Joey Jordinson on it's 15" woofers that's out of the question. Not happening. Ever.
I'm sure the HPM's have their strength but technology has come SO far since that time.

I get what your saying Snow and nostalgia plays a HUGE part in speaker myth. Also it's important to match up the speakers to the music you listen too. In my case I listen to a lot of jazz which the Klipsch Belle's excell at. Horns sound like horns. Mids & bass aren't bad. But ask it to keep up with Slipknot drummer Joey Jordinson on it's 15" woofers that's out of the question. Not happening. Ever.
I'm sure the HPM's have their strength but technology has come SO far since that time.
I like the Klipsch Belle's they are one of the few Klipsch speakers that I do like they both look and sound good. It is not easy finding speakers that do it all well at least on a budget. And just because I like the sound of something is no guarantee you or anyone else is going too. Audio gear is much like music there is a lot of different types and we all have our favorites, but if I can save someone some time or money in their audio journey I will be brutally honest in my opinions, I sure have spent lots trying many things out to find what I like.

Regards Snow

Damn, I'm a dolphin!

Thanks for the tip. Maybe one day I'll be able to hear them. I'll keep a lookout for those Yamaha speakers.

Set up properly, You would enjoy a pair. It's a love/Hate with these. AK must have over 1000 posts easily on this speaker. It's been beat beyond death. Try a pair, Knock that tweeter down about 4db, About a 14" stand, Off axis to the sweet spot. Throw on some Van Halen, You'll have a smile of your face. You don't need 40 pair.

Back
Top Bottom