Pioneer HPM-100s - Who has them?

Retro Stereo

Subscriber
Just wondering who here owns any HPM 100's and what do you like about them?

I currently have 3 pairs I'm using for my 6.1 HT system, but I'll switch a pair out every once-in-a-while and hook it up to one of my Pioneer rigs and listen some good old rock-n-roll.

What first turned me on to these speakers back in the 70's was the Simon and Garfunkel song "The Boxer". A buddy of mine had a pair with the grills off and turned up the bass a little for that song and WOW!!! I thought the woofer was going fly out of that speaker. I'd never heard or saw anything like it. You HPM 100 owners, if you ever have the chance, and if you haven't yet, get yourself the album, CD, tape, etc, of that Simon and Garfunkel tune and play it through those HPM 100s, but be careful not to have the bass up too loud and you'll see exactly what I'm talking about.

Let's hear from you HPM 100 owners!!! :thmbsp:

Retro

I'll chime in with 2pair, unused at the moment though. :thmbsp: can only be one reason for that now! :D

Count me in.

I have one complete pair and just parted out another set so there should be a couple akers here getting their's back together.

I honestly haven't used my set much since I got them.

What I don't like about them, they are big and heavy so it's not easy just to swap em in and out. More of a PITA than my recent NS-1000M are. Bigger PITA is my POLK RTA 12C. big, heavy and a floppy grilll that sits on top covering the tweeter.

One day (soon I hope) I can A/B the HPM with the NS and see how they compare.

I've got a pair of HPM-900s - does that count? Use them all of the time driven by an Onkyo A-8190 Integrated Amp. Tried using them with my hk-430 but the 430 didn't like them. The 8190 does like them and sounds pretty damn good with them. In fact, I use that system daily. :yes:

Picked up my first pair 1 month ago. I think I got a small hernia carrying them into the house.

Had a pair of HPM 100s, stolen from my van while I was moving. I still haven't got over that. I wil replace them one day if the right deal comes along. Just wondering how the surrounds would hold up after almost 30 years. Anyone ever had to replace them?

1 Pair and looking for more !!! :guitar:

kwmrlg,
The surrounds usally don't need replacing on the HPM-100's as they are treated cloth. :thmbsp:

I have a pair I bought in October that are like new. They are absolutely beautiful. Still has an original string hang tag on them. :thmbsp:

The bad news is they are still packed up. My plan was to use them with a system I was putting together for our family room. As a trial I hooked up a pair of Ohm Walsh's I was going to use in a bedroom system. Like them so much I can't talk myself into swapping them for the HPM-100's.

What to do? :scratch2:
Actually an extra pair of HPM-100's is a nice problem to have. :yes:

Terry

Have owned a pair for almost a year and I like the quality build, the durability, power handling and the clean clear sound one can get even at high volumes. They could go a little lower in the bass region would be all that I would change if I could.

I have 1pair and if I find another at the price I gave ($75) I'll be happy to pick them up these are great speakers and was a big upgrade for me!

100 watts continuous and 200 watts max, but don't let that fool you, they'll handle just about anything you can throw at them, besides, once you put 50 watts or so into a pair of these, stuff starts moving and your hearing will start to go south fast....... :yes: :thmbsp:

Retro

I had been wanting a pair since they came out in the late 70's, but had to wait until almost 2 years ago before I finally picked them up on ebay for $175.00. I had to settle for a pair of their little brother HPM-40's, which I still own and use today.

I have the 100's hooked up to a NAD 2200PE power amp, which I acquired for $150.00, and Carver C-1 preamp. The rest of my system consists of a Pioneer Reference CDP, Marantz 125 tuner, and a Pioneer CT-F900 cassette deck.

I listen to Jazz, Blues, and some Rock 'N' Roll music. Occasionally I will throw on one of my sons Rap cd's just to hear the walls rattle. They literally do rattle the walls. Totally amazing. Very little power required to make this happen.

I will keep these speakers as long as life (or wife) permit me to.

I admit that I have never listened to some of the exotic speaker names I read about on the AK forums, but have listened to JBL L100's, Martin Logan electrostatics, Klipsh Cornwalls (I think that's how you spell it), Bose, and others, and cannot justify spending big money on other speakers since I own a pair of these.

In fact some day I hope to own another pair. :thmbsp:

I don't have any experience with HPM-100's. Can they handle an SX-1980 at full throttle? If so, I might have to get me a pair or two. :rockon:

Back
Top Bottom