Pioneer HPM-100s - Who has them?

Parky

Sorry it has taken so long to respond.

My plan for now is to hang on to the HPM"s. I want to at least try them. If I decide to sell you will be the first to know. :yes:

Terry

I got mine for 40.00 at the local thrift,they are 9 out of 10.Heavy bass nice highs but mids just a little lacking.They weigh a ton, are hooked to a HMA-8500 MK II Hitachi Power amp.These will open your eyes,just something I always wanted and for the price,they rock.

tx1488 said:
I don't have any experience with HPM-100's. Can they handle an SX-1980 at full throttle? If so, I might have to get me a pair or two. :rockon:

Well, before I sold my SX-1980 and decided to use my HPM 100's for my HT setup, I had 2 pair hooked up to my 1980, and no, I would not suggest kicking your 1980 up to full throttle with a pair of HPM 100's. I had my 1980 up to 12 o'clock with those 2 pairs, and it took me a couple of weeks to get my house back on the foundation. :yes: :thmbsp: :naughty:

Retro

TWantiques said:
Sorry it has taken so long to respond.

My plan for now is to hang on to the HPM"s. I want to at least try them. If I decide to sell you will be the first to know. :yes:

Terry

Great Terry !!!
I was just trying to "light the fire" for ya a bit to try them out. :yes:
However, if ya want to sell them after your audition, I will be glad hook up with you for sure. :D

bully said:
I have a pair of HPM-900. I think they sound better over-all than the older 100's.

At one time I had 3 pairs in the apartment but now I only have one Very Nice/near 'Mint' pair. I think the HPM100s were the best value for speakers back in 'The Day' and I still believe they are today.

I had both the HPM100s and HPM900s at one time and I felt that the HPM900 had a slightly better high-end sound and the HPM100 had a better low-end/bass sound. It was really a wash with me, both were very pleasant sounding speakers BUT I'll take the HPM100 aesthetically any day over the HPM900s.

Last edited:
Oh, yeah, I agree the walnut veneer is nicer than the vinyl wrap. But from where I sit, I can't tell the difference.
Hey, how about that S-series that followed the HPM's? Someone here found a pair, and they used the same 'graphite modulus' cones as in the second HPM series, and seemed very well built. Hardly ever (I've only heard about the one that was discussed here) hear about them.

I have two pair which are currently hooked to a SX1250. I played Pink Floyd "The Machine" last night and all I can say is they never stop impressing me. The pressure from the bass coming out of them woofers made me feel like I was 30 feet under water. I also have two pair of JBL 4412 Studio Monitors which I also like very much. They are very impressive also, however they do not touch the low end of the HPM's. Then again, the JBLs are monitors.

MM

At one time I had 4 pairs but now just 2 and with trying to buy this house I will probably get down to one, not that I dont like them but my god I have them stuffed into my bedroom and that does not really do them justice. They are an exceptional speaker that still deserves high praise from all, even if their speaker of choice is better at one thing or another this is one of the few complete packages ever made for regular consumer consumption. All hail the HPM 100

I luv my hpms but am I the only one that thinks hpms are ugly? It's worth putting up with the looks for the sound no doubt

Donny said:
I luv my hpms but am I the only one that thinks hpms are ugly? It's worth putting up with the looks for the sound no doubt

Hey Donny,
I don't know how anyone would think these were ugly:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5742965761&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

With shipping, that particular pair went almost for $500!!! Did you notice they had a couple of pretty good scratches on both too. Little touch-up stain and they won't be as noticable though. I really like the looks of mine up on their custom-made stands, just beautiful as far as I'm concerned.

Retro

Last edited:
one thing I remember those super cheap rack systems from the 80's had those cheesy rings around all the drivers ,often the rings where bigger then the real speaker then in the 90's it came back but a duller ring infact I assumed the hpms had a plastic edge but was happy to find it was real metal! Even tho I know these are the real deal I can't get out of my head the cheesy ones so when I see the hpm's with the cover off.... btw when my nephew saw them he asked what I did with my good pioneers I then played them lol he luvs em haha he suggested painting them black

I drive them with an Onkyo Integrated A-8190. It has about 110 watts/channel. I tried driving them with an hk-430 but that didn't match well with them. :no:

what do you guys think the toshiba and them would match up like?

150 watts may be a bit over kill but its never a bad thing to have to much power. :)

uncooked said:
what do you guys think the toshiba and them would match up like?

150 watts may be a bit over kill but its never a bad thing to have to much power. :)

If you're going to spend that kind of money why don't you look at a Yamaha CR-1020 or CR-2020? Nuff said! :yes:

I've had mine hooked up to a multitude of receivers and haven't heard them sound bad with any! That Toshiba looks like it would do a fine job with them. I have hooked mine up to a SPEC 4 amplifier which is also 150 watts per channel and they sounded great thorugh that. I've also had them hooked up to an SX-450 which is 15 wpc and the still sounded excellent through that! Can't really go wrong with these speakers.

Retro

85wpc sounds good

I've got a set of 100s connected to an Optonica Receiver with 85wpc. They sound very good. Optonica is a 5151.

One pair here, and I use them as my main speakers. Right now I'm driving them with an H/K 800+ quad receiver as the front speakers, but I've also had nice success with them driven by my JVC-JR600II and Marantz 2240. I'm yet to find a bad combination with them yet. My favorites, out of over 30 pairs of speakers I have in total.

Back
Top Bottom