Pioneer HPM-100s - Who has them?

Love my HPM 100's but was able to get a pair of HPM 1500's and the blow away the 100's in everyway! I also was able to get a nice pair of 150's. Having the woofers re-foamed, hoping they are as nice sounding as the 1500's!

Meeeeee!

Had them in the garage listening to them extensively this morning whilst doing car wash duties and other odds & ends. Hooked up to a Denon 3803 via BT Google play with some jazz tune and I must say they sound very good. The was a tad too much bass and I was able to dial it back two ways. One was in Direct mode which seems to halve the bass out put and the other was cutting down the bass knob back to +3. The latter was my preferred choice. Sounded more natural.
The speakers were projecting the music very well as I was 25 feet away on my driveway with the volume on low so as to respect my neighbors who had a new born baby(!) and I'm 200% sure lack of sleep. Lol. Good times.
Anyway, I'll be taking them into the house soon maybe to be used as a home theater speakers paired with my "new" Bob Carver Sunfire cinema grand processor & amp. Just need a center channel as my wife has been wanting one. Oh and some really nice stands to go with them.
Super duper happy.

I too am a true believer in the HPM 100's. I bought mine new in about 1976 while stationed in Germany. I remember the first article in a a hifi magazine of the up and coming, but not released yet HPM 100. I could hardly wait until they were available for sale in Germany. I bought them at an Audio Club in Franfort. I still have these same speakers today. I have recapped them once sticking with close to stock parts. They sound great. I also experimented with a crossover mod designed by a well known AKer, but didn't seemed to be that impressed, so went back with recapped components. IMHO, unless you have a large listening area, be easy on the mid level pots. I find 0- maybe 1 1/2 work good. Get the up slightly off the floor, slightly tilted back and just barely angled in towards the listener. With a good clear recording, you'll swear you are right there. Now that y'all have heard me preach, back in 75 or 76 when the brochures and adds went out, there were talk from I believe Pioneer, that these speakers would be mirror imaged. Meaning a left speaker config and a right speaker config. Mine were apparently not. They are both the same. However on at at least some of old brochures Pioneer shows the speaker with the attenuators pad on the left. Both of mine and every other one I've seen the ATT pads or on the right side facing the speaker. Any of you know any thing about that? In fact I'll try to attach the brochure here. You'll see in the brochure that the ATT is above the super tweeter. On mine and every other one I seen the ATTs are above the round tweeter. Just wondering.

http://akdatabase.com/AKview/albums/userpics/10004/Pioneer HPM100 Brochure.pdf

Bubba57

While I still have my HPM-100's (100w version), they have been parked by Yamaha NS-1000M's and Technics SB-10's.
But I haven't got the heart to part with them. Great party speakers!

I own two sets. They are my FAVORITE "all round" Bass Reflex speaker. (In a tie with the HPM-900's. I own three sets of those.)
If I had to choose just ONE for a desert Island, this would probably be it.
My main system consists of Carver Amazing Plat III's, a Sunfire Center Channel with Polk SDA surround speakers. Four SI D2 15" subs mounted in SVS design inspired home brew cylindrical enclosures. They sound better, but it takes an aggregate effect to offset a lot of what two pairs of 100's (or 900's) do "right" by themselves. A 1980 drives the 100's and a TON of Sunfire amplification drives the main system. I have a third system that uses an Adcom GFA-555 and a Carver A-753x vertically biamped to run the other two sets of 900's and another set of stereo subs. (similar enclosures.). The last set of 900's are in one of my workshop systems run by my other GFA-555. All of 'em, SLAMMIN'.

You bet they will. Or at least mine do, and they're the "100 watt" models. The more I drill into that wattage difference between the ones with the port rings and the ones without, it mostly seems to be a nothing burger in terms of power handling. I thought there used to be a few threads here attesting to that. Maybe I'm wrong....I'm on a bunch of forums...

I have a pair that I like a lot. I paired them with a sa-9900. This system is use for TV and radio, I can't imagine I sell them.

I finally joined the HPM-100 club recently!
These HPM-100's are so hard to find in th U.K. but I was lucky enough to catch an advert for sale who was also fairly local to me.
Funny how things happen!
Got a great price on them. In great condition. Unfortunately, one mid was non operational so had to source one. Took quite a while to locate one and it's on it's way to me.
I have the 'so called' 200W versions but have noticed that other than the cross-overs being slightly different, the components are also numbered differently to their 100W Brothers.

Super Tweeters: HP-015B
Tweeter: 45-711C
Midrange: 10-721-2
Woofer: 30-733D-4

All are letter coded differently to the 100W versions.
My replacement Mid-Range is from another 200W version BUT it's letter coded differently as: 10-721-B
Hope I'm doing the right thing!

I've got a pair of Mid-Range 10-726-A's (out of HPM-60's) coming as well as I bought these on impulse as the search for the original/proper ones was proving fruitless. They are definitely a smaller driver/magnet but I may give them a go unless someone on AK recommends otherwise?

Listening currently with one full working speaker and the other without a Mid ( I've turned the mid dial all the way down as well to maybe protect the crossover and Speaker in general)
So far, so good. I like them. Much better than my B&W DM2 MK2's.
When I get that replacement Mid I'll let them Rock out fully!

A great matching speaker for my SX-1980!

I'm happy so far!

I wished we had a definitive guide on what drivers are exchangeable with the 100's, I see it all scattered in various threads, I'm a new owner so I have little experience with these, the mids seem to be the hardest to fit and replace, I'm going to try some re-capped HPM-900 crossovers, not sure what mids I can use and how they need to be phased. Same with the tweeters, although that's not on my plate right now.

I bought a pair of HPM-100s during the eclipse weekend. The mids were blown. After some brief research , I bought a pair out of HPM-900s that will go in. There is a contingent who say the tweeters from the HPM-900s are a step-up as well. I Plan to redo the crossovers, hopefully, soon. Still trying to decide which schematic to follow, MattSDs or the HPM-900 with a choke on the woofer. As I wrote elsewhere, I may use a breadboard and try different configurations. Oaktreevintage has a good summary of driver numbers as does the pioneer site. Hey Bubba, why you gotta mess with my head with the attenuator knob position. I forgot that they considered that mirror image L/R speakers would sell better and now it's stuck in my head again. I do think (can't tell you why) that there is evidence that some were built and sold as mirror pairs.

As far as speakers I will keep forever? The HPM-40s I bought in High School. They've been through the wars, jumped off shelves, been played in the back seat of the old land yachts driving down the road. I will never forget the look on my buddy's face as he was sitting between the two speakers in the back seat. (The speakers wore seat belts - he didn't). Jimi Hendrix version of the Star Spangled Banner cranked as high as it would go. I think he saw God that night. Used to keep two 50 foot strings of speaker wire in the car and use the HPM-40s at field parties. I have lost count the number of drivers I've replaced or rebuilt over the years. The cabinets are in surprisingly good shape. Veneer has some scratches and a few corners aren't square anymore. While the tweeters and supertweeters are the "right" Pioneer drivers, I couldn't say for certain now whether the left and right part numbers match or which version they are. The original woofers are long gone having been replaced by SouthEasternAcoustic drivers. When they blew they made an interesting smell and rattled afterwards. This was well before I would even consider a recone had it been available. But.... Anyway, The new to me HPM-100s are in much better condition and will stay that way.

As far as a definitive guide to part numbers which are interchangeable, There are several starts, bits and pieces on here as SSDan has noted. Just cuz it fits doesn't mean it sounds the same. A whole lot of things affect the sound of a driver. I would guess most people begin with the pioneer site's original and recommended replacement part numbers. When these prove difficult to find, then other member's experiences (experiments???) come into play.

Hey Kryten,
You'll love the HPM 100's. No more putting them in the car though??? Hook them up and enjoy them. I suggest you check the DC offset of the receiver/amp there hooked to. http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/amplifier-distortion-dc-offset-and-you.5634/. If this link don't work, it was put out by echo wars and is a sticky on the first page of the Solid State, forum. FWIW, excessive DC voltage will overheat the voice coils. Hopefully everything is fine but it's definitely worth the effort of checking. When you get them back together, let us know what you think about them. Pics would be nice too..

Bubba57

They look interesting but I wonder what they sound like without the wood and sound insulation around them?
Or.....
Does the clear Polycarbonate make up for it being more of a sealed container?

Interesting & tempting!

They look interesting but I wonder what they sound like without the wood and sound insulation around them?
Or.....
Does the clear Polycarbonate make up for it being more of a sealed container?

Interesting & tempting!

I heard that the clear HPM-100's were a display model used in stores but I could be wrong. I also heard they don't sound nearly as good.

I too am a true believer in the HPM 100's. I bought mine new in about 1976 while stationed in Germany. I remember the first article in a a hifi magazine of the up and coming, but not released yet HPM 100. I could hardly wait until they were available for sale in Germany. I bought them at an Audio Club in Franfort. I still have these same speakers today. I have recapped them once sticking with close to stock parts. They sound great. I also experimented with a crossover mod designed by a well known AKer, but didn't seemed to be that impressed, so went back with recapped components. IMHO, unless you have a large listening area, be easy on the mid level pots. I find 0- maybe 1 1/2 work good. Get the up slightly off the floor, slightly tilted back and just barely angled in towards the listener. With a good clear recording, you'll swear you are right there. Now that y'all have heard me preach, back in 75 or 76 when the brochures and adds went out, there were talk from I believe Pioneer, that these speakers would be mirror imaged. Meaning a left speaker config and a right speaker config. Mine were apparently not. They are both the same. However on at at least some of old brochures Pioneer shows the speaker with the attenuators pad on the left. Both of mine and every other one I've seen the ATT pads or on the right side facing the speaker. Any of you know any thing about that? In fact I'll try to attach the brochure here. You'll see in the brochure that the ATT is above the super tweeter. On mine and every other one I seen the ATTs are above the round tweeter. Just wondering.

http://akdatabase.com/AKview/albums/userpics/10004/Pioneer HPM100 Brochure.pdf

Bubba57

From what I have gathered through various online sources, the HPM-100's shown in that brochure are the first/early editions with foam surrounds (not cloth like later editions). Also the cast aluminum frames are rounded and not square with rounded corners like the later editions.

Last edited:
From what I have gathered through various online sourced, the HPM-100's shown in that brochure are the first/early editions with foam surrounds (not cloth like later editions). Also the cast aluminum frames are rounded and not square with rounded corners like the later editions.

That's interesting. Never heard that. I don't know any different. Thanks for the input.

Bubba57

Back
Top Bottom