Pioneer HPM-100s - Who has them?

Well i have D9's and hpm-100's as well. I would honestly say the hpms not only play clearer then the d9's but louder...... The bass is defenitely not the same but the Hpms high end never craps out and distorts like my d9's do. Ive heard d7's and same thing.

Have a pair hooked up to a 150 watt kenwood KA 1100SD amp. Had a slight problem with the mids so i got a pair at ebay. Had a woofer rewired due to a vc rub and everything works fine now. Had to move it to my mountain retreat since it was a bit big for my living room wife initiated. It was good thing though cuz now i can really crank it up.

Used to own a pair of Blose 901 limited edition (j)oak. They were never really good for anything except blow drying my hair when pushing them with my Carver m1.5t amp. I fell in love with the hpm 100's when my brother loaned his set to me for a test drive. What a great guy :thmbsp: Now I have my own pair and you'll have to pry them from my cold dead fingers. 'Nuff said.

HPM series efficiency?

Don't have the HPM100s unfortunately, but do have two pair of the HPM40s. Anyway I was wondering what the rated SPL/1 m/1 W output of the 40,60,100s is? Didn't seem to find anything in my search of the forum.

Thanks,
Michael

I have a pair of HPM-100 hooked to Yamaha M-70 in the back living room,full rich sound all the way through.Tight bass,full mids and highs that scare me sometimes.Then theres a pair of recently purchased HPM-60s in the front system,there is a very distinct sound to the whole line,very nice veneer and well built.It was a very well thought out line of equipment for its day.By the way they can still CRANK IT OUT 30 YEARS LATER for the price,I have and never will have any complaints about these units. PEACE

Just picked up a pair on the weekend. They were on my must have list.
They don't disappoint!
Won't be selling these!
Truly a well built speaker and a great rocker!
My kids will soon be enjoying them when they start to party!

I have owned a pair, and used them almost daily, since the mid 70's. I love the way they sound. Booming bass, and nice highs. I ran em thru an AU 717 for years, till I went to surround. Now they run through a Yamaha RX V590. As soon a my Advents get here, the 100's will once again be paired with the Sansui.

I recently got my first pair of HPM 100's. Hooked em to the SA9800, flipped the
switch (not knowing and in a hurry to hear em) with the throtle about 3/4 to
the big side, all the furniture in the room was dust free. Both dogs and the cat
no longer have fleas and my wife is done going through "The Change"...

I now have a sweet double stack of HPM-100s. Replacing the doublestack I gave away about 20 years ago. I am driving my current set with an SA-9500-II amp. It is a wonder that the neighbors are not calling 911... :D

Rich P

pustelniakr said:
I now have a sweet double stack of HPM-100s. Replacing the doublestack I gave away about 20 years ago. I am driving my current set with an SA-9500-II amp. It is a wonder that the neighbors are not calling 911... :D

Rich P

Way to go Rich !!! :thmbsp:

Gotta just love a doublestack of HPM's !!! :yes:

Donny said:
It's worth putting up with the looks for the sound no doubt

I felt the exact opposite way about my ex-wife.
It was worth putting up with the sound for the looks. :D

Jeff
P.S. Found out I was wrong...

Advice from the speaker Gods.......

What's the best way to TEST the drivers and cross-overs to make sure they are working as they should???

I think the mid-range in one of my JBL L-166s is bad, but it's hard to tell.

Does anyone ever test their speakers? Do you use a test record or CD with different frequencies on it? How do you know it it's the driver or cross-over at fault?

Thanks for your comments,

Franz

Franz said:
What's the best way to TEST the drivers and cross-overs to make sure they are working as they should???

I think the mid-range in one of my JBL L-166s is bad, but it's hard to tell.

Does anyone ever test their speakers? Do you use a test record or CD with different frequencies on it? How do you know it it's the driver or cross-over at fault?

Franz

C'mon Franz! Posting a question about JBL speakers in the PIONEER AUDIO forum, in a thread specifically about PIONEER speakers??? For shame on you! :D

Jeff

Last edited:

I think the mid-range in one of my HPM 100s is bad, but it's hard to tell.

Franz

Franz said:

I think the mid-range in one of my HPM 100s is bad, but it's hard to tell.

Franz

Excellent, Franz! You're a fast learner. :D If it was me, I'd disconnect the leads from all the drivers except the midrange in each speaker. Listen to each (left and right) speaker to see if you hear a significant difference when playing music. If you hear a significant difference in sound quality in one of the midranges, move the bad midrange to the other speaker box. If the crappy sound moves to the other box along with the midrange, the midrange is bad. but if the crappy midrange sounds fine when attached to the other crossover, it is a crossover problem (in the original cabinet the midrange was in). As for testing crossovers, that is beyond my limited capabilities. Sorry.

Jeff

Last edited:
driver testing

Jeff,

I was hoping to avoid all that work. The drivers have never been removed from the cabinets. The JB-, uh, I mean HPM have a variable "presence" control for both the tweeter and mids. There seems to be more effect to the mid adjustment in one speaker than in the other. I wonder if that's where the problem lies...........

I swear I've got one of those old "test tone" LPs stashed away somewhere....

Franz
with HPM wanna-be's that look like L166s

OK Pioneer experts....

What's the pecking order of the mid 1970s HPM series?

Are the 100s the top of the line? I remember the 60s and 40s, which were smaller, but I see where folks have HPM 200s, 700s, etc...

What's the King of the Pioneer Speaker Hill?

Franz

1500's!!!

my opinion is the hpm 150's and the 1500's are the best 15" woofs and a glass diffuser tweeter that can actually be herd with the human ear wow ours sound amazing but ofcorse ours are being ran by a spec 1 and spec 2 so that is a huge plus. but id say they sound good on any sx *3* series pioneer also.

Shawn.

Franz said:
What's the pecking order of the mid 1970s HPM series?

Are the 100s the top of the line? I remember the 60s and 40s, which were smaller, but I see where folks have HPM 200s, 700s, etc...

What's the King of the Pioneer Speaker Hill?

Franz

I own 2 pair right now..

you ask what do I like about them....well I LOVE EVERYTHING about them... the clear and PUNCH, the looks, the quaility of them, the style, how robust they are built (take a look at how thick the baffle is) I play almost EVERY kind of music, try playing a "TELARC LABEL CD" thru them...OMG! :rockon: WOW and AMAZING sound..... not to much more to say but..... I WANT MORE of them....LOL.... :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom