Pioneer HPM-100s - Who has them?

Franz said:
What's the pecking order of the mid 1970s HPM series?

Are the 100s the top of the line? I remember the 60s and 40s, which were smaller, but I see where folks have HPM 200s, 700s, etc...

What's the King of the Pioneer Speaker Hill?

Franz

In my opinion, I would have to say the HPM 200 speakers (and I'm sure MadPioneer will agree :naughty: ) are the best speakers that Pioneer put out in that time period. And then running a distant 2nd (you did say mid 1970s right?) were the rest in this order:

2) HPM 150s and 1500s (the 1500s were the European version of the 150s)
3) HPM 100s
4) HPM 60s

The HPM 40s, 500s, 700s, 900s, 1100s etc., were not made until the early 1980s.

Retro

Last edited:
Hpm 100 Live On!!!!!

I had a pair for about 10 yrs. Like a dummy I sold them when I changed over to a Home Theater set up :cry: . Bought another pair, but never set them up and finally sold them. YOU BIG DUMMY. I now have a pair of CS-99A's, great in there own right, in my stereo only room. If I find another pair of 100's, I'll jump on them like no one's buisness.

Last edited:
I was just downstairs tinkering, listening to my HPM-100's being driven by yet another Sansui 6060 on the bench, listening to jazz on NPR. Just a pleasant all-round listen. :)

TP

vintage-yungin said:
my opinion is the hpm 150's and the 1500's are the best 15" woofs and a glass diffuser tweeter that can actually be herd with the human ear wow ours sound amazing but ofcorse ours are being ran by a spec 1 and spec 2 so that is a huge plus. but id say they sound good on any sx *3* series pioneer also.

Shawn.

I gotta back up the Yungin' here... The HPM-150's sound superb! Maybe not as nice as the 200's, but there up on the top of the list, in my book any way.

Ron

Bump

I've seen a few more threads with more AKer's buying some HPM 100's, so I thought I'd bump this thread and maybe we'll hear from them.

Retro

OK - I'll add my name to the list.
Just picked up a pair yesterday at the local thrift. $50 for the pair. The most expensive audio purchase I've made in three years.
I grabbed them on sight with the sole intention of flipping them: I'm a two-way speaker guy, and the wife would not have let them in the house without that statement. So I hooked them up, and I told her - "I really really hope I don't like these." Wow. Those are some really really nice speakers.

Right!
I do have some that will be leaving now, but other than the Blose it's mostly to make room because of a move.
I've got stack combos that I like better, with a different type of feel, but these are probably my best single set of speakers. The Large Advent/AR7 combo is very smooth and satisfing and for longer listens, the 100s are quite detailed and I have no criticism of them at all.
I'll be switching between some ams and recievers over the next few days and see what I settle on.

I have 3 pairs of HPM 100's, one pair I have owned since 1979...I love them and they kick serious butt. Great at low and high volume levels. I currently have one pair hooked up to a Pioneer SX-980 and two pair stacked up driven by a Kenwood 7400 65 WPC recieve. Probably the best sounding speakers I have ever heard. Recently went to Best Buy and sat in the Home Theater listening rooms. And concluded that my set up with four hooked up to the Kenwood was as impressive as the top of line setup at Best Buy. I love these...Also have 4 HPM 60's that are just as nice with a tighter bass. They go good together with the 100's. A pair of HPM 40's in the bedroom sound sweet too!

Last edited:
PioneerHPMLuver, Welcome to AudioKarma! You definitely seem to be on the right track to enjoy this wonderful vintage audio site. If at all possible, I, and surely others, would love to see pictures of your setup.

Since this thread has been bumped back up, I might as well add that I've a pair of HPM-100s in excellent electrical condition, but sadly have a few pushed in dust caps and water damage on the tops of the cabs. I've also a pair of fairly rough HPM-40 Series II and a racooned pair of HPM-40 Series I parts units. The 100s and the first 40s are currently in a stacked arrangement in my bedroom system running off a Kenwood KA-5500.

- JP

thanks for the welcome JP.
I'd be happy to post somepics. Some in great shape, and some not so great shape but all sound awesome!
you can fix the dented dustcaps pretty easy. It worked for me for both the midrange and the tweeters.
Remove the speaker and set it down on a flat surface facing up. Drop about a teaspoon off water on the speaker until it covers the dustcap. This will soften the cap. After about 15 minutes, turn the speaker over and pour out the water. Next take about a 7/8" socket wrench or something similar, place over the dustcap and carefully suck on it creating a vacumn. The cap pops right back with a slight crease leftover from the dent. I know it sounds crazy but I did it for 4 or 5 of mine. Let it dry completely for about 24 hours.

Some Pic's to check out

Views form my dining room....and PC....And then my living room from the Lazy Boy....That's right I'm a bachelor!

Last edited:
PioneerHPMLuver said:
:yes: You don't think this is an obsession do you?

You definitely need counseling. But don't get it here. The help you will get here consists of the "strange method of Dr. Tar and Professor Feather."

Welcome to the madness...

On the other hand, you could send any of that rotten Pioneer equipment to me for proper and safe disposal.

Rich P

Last edited:
Yes, I to am guilty of being the sole and single owner of a Pair of Pioneer HPM 100's. I all most went to jail over these speakers. We had a big party at my apartment, several of us were throughly lit from the influence of various natural substances. I don't remember the exact album that had the pleasure of riding on my turntable at that point in time. I do know that not hearing the police pounding on your downstairs apartment door can be a good way to make them unhappy. When I finally realized someone was at door. I looked out the peep hole and nearly had the big one. The policeman was very cool about it and left. I have enjoyed these speakers very much.

In the early 80's when I was a bit wilder than I am now the police came to my door a few times too. And I did'nt hear 'em pounding on the door either!

Back
Top Bottom