Pioneer HPM-100s - Who has them?

First Pioneer purchase

After reading so many rave reviews from AK members, I bit on a chance to get a pair of HPM-100's in a package deal. As I type, I'm listening to Mike Oldfield's "Songs of Distant Earth" through the 'baby' Onkyo TX-84 and am continually impressed by the amount of low bass available at very low volumes. No idea what these might sound like when driven by 'little brother' Onkyo Integra A-8500
or 'big brother' A-7090 in a bigger room.

Got my first HPM 100s this weekend. Have 'em hooked to my SX1980. Played Aerosmith's Walk this Way and nearly cried with pleasure. Can't wait to try HPMLuver's dust cap trick. One question though ... couldn't I gently moisten the caps with a small paint brush and water, so that I don't need to remove the speaker?

PioneerHPMLuver said:
Views form my dining room....and PC....And then my living room from the Lazy Boy....That's right I'm a bachelor!

What happend to the pics??? :para:

Scott

robobxman said:
Got my first HPM 100s this weekend. Have 'em hooked to my SX1980. Played Aerosmith's Walk this Way and nearly cried with pleasure. Can't wait to try HPMLuver's dust cap trick. One question though ... couldn't I gently moisten the caps with a small paint brush and water, so that I don't need to remove the speaker?

It might work...as long as the dust cap softens up it will probably work....

Cool - I'll try it. Probably do it when the wife's out so she doesn't think I'm making out with my speakers.

Note: the response you want occurs when you pull back and not when suction is applied. What I mean is, you create a seal, apply suction, then suddenly pull back. You will see that the cap pops out, if it is going to, at the instant that suction is lost.

Rich p

Just picked mine up today!

I picked mine up from a local seller today for a good price and I ran straight home and hooked them up. They are a very clear speaker with great low end and high end. That woofer really bouinces around. I am wondering how long it will take before my landlord kicks me out.

My SX-1250 is loving these speakers. My system is coming together quite well!!!

Dang i waited along time to be able to post to this thread. :thmbsp:
Now i can say that i joined the ranks of HPM 100 owners
and very happy with them. anyone that is thinking of getting some.
I highly recomend them. :yes:

Chris

Same here. "The Boxer" Simon and G was what blew me away with the HPMs back in, what, 77, 76? Damn. I loved that sound. I recorded the vinyl onto pioneer reel to reel and I was in hog heaven as they say...I was driving it all with the sansui 9090...damn, those were good times...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I counted like 47 pairs of HPM 100's owned by several members of AudioKarma in this particular thread!!! With those numbers, I wonder if the HPM 100 is the most popular speaker owned by AK members? Maybe if I get ambitious, I'll check out that thread down in the speaker forum that asks "how many speakers do you own?" and count the HPM 100 pairs down there.

Retro

Can't remember if I posted in this thread or not. But for the record, 2 pairs of HPM-100s here. One pair near mint the others are beaters but with good drivers. Connected both to a SX-5590, for an effective 200 wpc at 4 ohms!!!

Dire McCain said:
Same here. "The Boxer" Simon and G was what blew me away with the HPMs back in, what, 77, 76? Damn. I loved that sound. I recorded the vinyl onto pioneer reel to reel and I was in hog heaven as they say...I was driving it all with the sansui 9090...damn, those were good times...

I agree..

S&Gs The Boxer is a great test cut. It has many things going on at the same time. The HPM-100s indeed shine on it!

Ok , I have several pairs of PIONEER speakers among many other brands. BUT I have been happy with my pair of CS-99'S >($25.00) And "2" pairs of CS-911A'S total cost of $45.00 for both pairs...Although I HAVE been aware of the HPM 100'S (and have been lookin' for them for awhile) But NO Luck... I really don't know what I'm missing :no: :tears: I'm running the CR- 99'S & a pair of the CS-911A'S through a SX-1250 and I'm very happy. SO , Are all of you great AK / HPM 100 owners sayin' that once I aquire a pair of HPM 100'S I will then be even more HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY :yes: :banana: :scratch2: :scratch2: :scratch2: ? I wonder if the improvment in sound with the HPM 100'S over the above mentioned speakers would justify the cost I will surely have to pay to find a decent pair of these. :scratch2: :scratch2: :scratch2: Can any AK'er comment on the CS-911A'S / CR-99'S in comparisan to the HPM 100'S ? :yes: :scratch2: THANKS ! :yes: mike

Retro Stereo said:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I counted like 47 pairs of HPM 100's owned by several members of AudioKarma in this particular thread!!! With those numbers, I wonder if the HPM 100 is the most popular speaker owned by AK members? Maybe if I get ambitious, I'll check out that thread down in the speaker forum that asks "how many speakers do you own?" and count the HPM 100 pairs down there.

Retro

Retro you can now double count me. :yes: cause i now have two pair.
One --->(NEW)<--- pair and One Nice pair :D

Oh Yaaa :thmbsp:

Chris :music:

Mikeymax said:
Ok , I have several pairs of PIONEER speakers among many other brands. BUT I have been happy with my pair of CS-99'S >($25.00) And "2" pairs of CS-911A'S total cost of $45.00 for both pairs...Although I HAVE been aware of the HPM 100'S (and have been lookin' for them for awhile) But NO Luck... I really don't know what I'm missing :no: :tears: I'm running the CR- 99'S & a pair of the CS-911A'S through a SX-1250 and I'm very happy. SO , Are all of you great AK / HPM 100 owners sayin' that once I aquire a pair of HPM 100'S I will then be even more HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY :yes: :banana: :scratch2: :scratch2: :scratch2: ? I wonder if the improvment in sound with the HPM 100'S over the above mentioned speakers would justify the cost I will surely have to pay to find a decent pair of these. :scratch2: :scratch2: :scratch2: Can any AK'er comment on the CS-911A'S / CR-99'S in comparisan to the HPM 100'S ? :yes: :scratch2: THANKS ! :yes: mike

Sure, although probably not what you really want to hear, but yes, the HPM 100's blow all those speakers away that you're already using.

Retro

No HPMs yet

That's some good HPM stories there guys, I'm pretty jealous. Way to go chris on the 2nd set. Rich, you are definately sick dude, a triple stack. Lol, man that system is freakin' impressive. :ntwrthy: I haven't heard "The Boxer" by S and G , but that is on my list as a must hear. Back in the day, a buddy of mine in high school had a set of HPM 100s that really kicked. Our "test" song was "Post Toastie" by Tommy Bolin. That was a great song, went to all extremes, and was long . Can't go look at the album at the moment. Talk about woofer excursion, we would put a Bic lighter up to the port during the bass sections and it would blow out the flame with the sucker set on high. Yah we were impressed. He didn't have much pushing them either. I haven't seen him in over 15yrs, but the last time I saw him he was over at he house and I commented on his set-up from back then, telling him I wanted a set of HPMs. Hell , he was way impressed with my set-up with CVs. I assured him , that HPMs would blow my CVs in the weeds but he didn't seem to think so. I can't wait to put a set up against them and put some SX-1250 on em. Rock on :yes: .

Rebel

The Rebel said:
That's some good HPM stories there guys, I'm pretty jealous. Way to go chris on the 2nd set. Rich, you are definately sick dude, a triple stack. Lol, man that system is freakin' impressive. :ntwrthy: I haven't heard "The Boxer" by S and G , but that is on my list as a must hear. Back in the day, a buddy of mine in high school had a set of HPM 100s that really kicked. Our "test" song was "Post Toastie" by Tommy Bolin. That was a great song, went to all extremes, and was long . Can't go look at the album at the moment. Talk about woofer excursion, we would put a Bic lighter up to the port during the bass sections and it would blow out the flame with the sucker set on high. Yah we were impressed. He didn't have much pushing them either. I haven't seen him in over 15yrs, but the last time I saw him he was over at he house and I commented on his set-up from back then, telling him I wanted a set of HPMs. Hell , he was way impressed with my set-up with CVs. I assured him , that HPMs would blow my CVs in the weeds but he didn't seem to think so. I can't wait to put a set up against them and put some SX-1250 on em. Rock on :yes: .

Rebel

I would like to here about the results of that comparison myself...

Back
Top Bottom