Pioneer HPM-150 - a cautionary tale or an opportunity?

dave_n_s

Last weekend I saw a CL listing for a pair of HPM-150s with a photo that showed they were in great shape externally after it had been up for 8 minutes.

I called and was told he'd replaced some drivers after a bad refoam experience but they sounded great. Red flag???

There was a turntable in the photo and I asked if that was also for sale. Yes.... how much? Assuming the turntable worked, the speakers were free and stuffed with 500 dollar bills. I hope that makes sense.

The speakers sounded OK and the drivers were definitely different - just one original tweeter, the other a pioneer something, the mids Pyle and the 15 inch guys Pioneers off something not very expensive. As my age starts with a 6, I can't hear super-tweeters. But those cabinets, superb, grills, badges, risers, top sections, glass, all great.

And the turntable worked and was pristine and a handful of interesting AT cartridges appeared. Another $30.

So I got a huge bargain numerically and some project HPM-150s for nothing essentially.

However no such thing as a free lunch. To add to the fun, I've checked the super-tweeters and they read open circuit and a meg or so.

What next? Do I pick off drivers one by one? Do I look for a pair in terrible shape looking for a good cabinet or do I find a friend and we end up with one good pair between us?

Or do I just listen to them. They don't actually sound that bad, but I know they should sound a lot better.

Ah, the trials of vintage audio

Hmm, take the money you didn't spend on that TT and buy a $25 subscription to AK. Post in the Orphan Speaker Bingo thread looking for 150 drivers or speakers with bad cabinets. Post a WTB for drivers. Watch ebay and set up an automatic email notice when the drivers you need are listed. Good time of the year to buy, prices are down in the summer.

That and a bucket of patience will do it.

Back
Top Bottom