Pioneer HPM-200's

Yeah I'd give those a miss. Unless they're a "gotta have" for a collector, IMO that money (or less) can buy much better.

I've owned ALMOST everything in the HPM line. I think it was supposed to be an assault on East Coast "voiced" type speakers. Maybe Bozaks. (Like the HPM's were the progeny of the JBL L series after their designer Bart Locanthi left JBL-taking his patents with him, and started what turned into TAD.)
I have a relative that owns a pair, and there's not a lot of familial resemblance to the rest of the series. I've owned (several sets) of 40's, 60's (the least logical price point/performance break of the series imo) 100's (still own two sets of those) and 900's. (I own THREE sets of those. All restored.) and one set of 150's.
I've had the opportunity to buy a pair of 200's any number of times. The one set of 150's I owned, I think had something unwell done to them in shipping. I know magnets moving around in shipment were an issue with those. I had the woofers repaired and they never sounded the way I remembered them from back in the day.
The 200's (even when I made weekly pilgrimages to the local Catalog showroom to ogle all that stuff) never made that good an impression. But then I'm not knocked out by the Bozaks I've heard either. Some folks think they're swell. They're very forward in the midrange and upper bass. They have a LOT of presence. If that's your thing, then I'd grab 'em and growl.....

Back
Top Bottom