Pioneer PAX-30C full range driver

gogofast

Addicted Member
i just bought a pair of pioneer pax-30c drivers, and i'm really excited to work on them. they are 12", 16 ohms, 20w max input with golden horn tweeter in the middle, and has a level controller. i have to refoam the both drivers. i was wondering if anyone knows about this particular driver, and where to find the refoam kit. oh boy, they're so heavy-i almost sprained my back holding both of them. they're so nice. thanks in advance for any info. oh, and i will post pictures later if anyone wants to see.

I´d love to see pics of those.
Being 12", 16 ohms, 20w max input, I guess they might be some gorgeous vintage drivers with Alnico drivers and all, which mated to a proper large, but simple to build Jensen / Onken box will make a terrific speaker.
Now that you have me drooling all over my Keyboard, you gotta tell me how much you paid for them. Please?

dont know how close to the pax 30e they are but heres a scan from an ad in audio magazine from 1959.

Attachments

• pioneer pax 30e 1 (Custom).jpg
    pioneer pax 30e 1 (Custom).jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 267
oh...my....goodness. i just found out that the really beat-up cabinets with ripped up grills that i threw away before bringing these babies home were karlson cabinets. i feel so stupid right now. by the way, i paid $40 for the pair, and here are some pictures. they're alot different from 30e. the edges of these speakers look like cones directly glued to the metal edge-is that mean i have to replace the cone since they're all torn apart? or is there a certain re-edging kit that will connect the cones to the edge? thanks.

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 229
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 281
  • p3.jpg
    p3.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 216
  • p6.jpg
    p6.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 208
  • p5.jpg
    p5.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 214
the edges of these speakers look like cones directly glued to the metal edge-is that mean i have to replace the cone since they're all torn apart? or is there a certain re-edging kit that will connect the cones to the edge? thanks.

I don't think there is much chance of finding a re-cone kit for those drivers but that doesn't mean that they can't be rescued.

I recently saved an early Goodmans wide-range driver that had the pleated cardboard surrounds completely eaten away by moths or silverfish. I took it too an older, experienced speaker technician and asked him if he could cut the edges off another pleated cone and glue them to my Goodmans cone. he did a beautiful job and the speaker is mostly original. The technician used his experience to use a cone edge that was a similar as possible to the original. You can see the result below.

You just need to search out an experienced, sensible re-coner.

Wfront2.jpg
Wpleats3.jpg

Wow, that is an unbelievable job. Looks great.
You know, you resurrected 12 year old thread - when I was just starting to get into vintage audio.... time passes fast for sure.

Back
Top Bottom