Pioneer PD-59 info?

Discussion in 'Digital Sources' started by Svoad, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Svoad

Svoad New Member

I bought a Pioneer PD-59 cd player from Goodwill a few minutes ago for $15.20. I'm at work so I have to look at it for the next couple hours before hooking it up. Did I get a good deal? Or does this unit look nicer than it sounds? It might replace a Pioneer dv-46av elite DVD if it sounds better. Any info on this player would be great! Thanks.

2. E-Stat

E-Stat Super Member

I had a similar PD-54 for a number of years. What sets it apart is the "stable platter" transport where you place the disk upside down on it. DAC not so much. I used the digital output to send the signal to an outboard DAC.

In working order, it is certainly worth $15 regardless of how you use it!

3. Svoad

Svoad New Member

Thanks for the info. I hooked it up and it sounded better than the Pioneer dv-46av elite DVD I had hooked up, So it's my main CD player. When I first hooked it up, I thought it didn't work because I was playing the CD right side up. In a moment of desperation and as a last resort I flipped it over and it read the CD tracks. It's definitely sounding like it was well worth the $15 price tag I paid. After reading some on the stable platter, I'm thinking about taking a step further down the rabbit hole and purchasing a outboard DAC. My wife is wondering why ever hobby I pick up cost so much.