Pioneer PL-115D Turntable Questions. Help!

Carl Conge

I recently acquired what I know to be a seldom used Pioneer PL-115D turntable with a Ortonfon Corcorde 10 Cartridge and stylus installed. There isn't a scuff or scratch to be found anywhere, and the dust over is in pristine condition. It even came with the 45 Adapter!

Comparing my turntable to the pictures online, it appears as though the counter weight on my turntable has been replaced. The person that I got if from ... and older gentleman ... couldn't remember changing the counter weight, but from what I have read online, it appears as some of the Ortonfon Condorde 10 Cartridges back in the day may have come with a new counter weight. Does that sound right?

Questions ...

Why do you think the original counter weight was replaced?

Is the Ortonfon Condorde 10 Cartridge/stylus a good one?

Should I replace the stylus? A quick search online seems to suggest that they are still available.

Although it operates properly at both speeds, and sounds great, it has been in storage for a very long time. What should I do ... other than clean it ... to insure that I get several more years of enjoyment out of it?

Is it worth looking for an OEM counter weight and cartridge ... even if I don't need it right now? Call me a purist, but ... it just SEEMS like something that I should have to make my turntable complete (even if I don't ever install the parts right now).

Assuming that I am able to locate an OEM counter weight and cartridge, and decided to install them, it is something that is relatively easly to do? Photo 1.jpeg Photo 2.jpeg

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm JUST getting back into the vinyl thing for the first time since 1982!

Just a wild guess, but I'll bet the original counterweight was lost. I just searched and there's an original one on there for $20. I'd get that both because it would look much better but, more importantly, you could dial in the tracking force correctly.

I can't speak to the Ortofon cartridge but if you do get a new stylus, consider what that costs vs. a whole new cartridge.

Other issue to note. Your Ortofon Concorde is for 52 mm overhang. Pioneer uses 49 mm overhang on your turntable. Look for another headshell, and a cartridge. 3 mm off is very off. On a Technics, it is correct as they use 52 mm overhang to achieve Stevenson alignment.

you don't have to have a parts-matching-all-original PL 1xx. they made millions and is one
of the easiest TTs to fix (I've had all of them: Pl10, PL-12, PL-112, Pl-115, PL-117 turntables)

however if money is no object
1. find original platter mat - flat bottom (not the ribbed and cheaper replacement)
2. add lateral counter weight.
3. fix the feet, the inside "foam" has flown.
4. get the original counterweight if it makes you feel better, this new one is absolutely proper.
5. get a better cart (think era-correct M91ED with original stylus or JICO shibatas/Microlines)
6. buy all the test LPs you can and set the tracking force according to the "best" test band
7. buy mint copy of Telarc's 1812 Overture with real cannon blast and tune the TT/cart/tracking
force and antiskate to track the finale. repeat steps 5,6 until it longer jumps into the next county.
8. peel off the plastic wood veneer and put on real veneer. -ensure all edges are perfect.
9. replace platter belt until it reaches published specs for wow&flutter AND speed (33 or 45)
10. wire better phono cables - lower cable capacitance but add back in phono stage to
maintain FLAT frequency response from needle to line-stage output (use LPs from #6)

or skip all these steps and enjoy the music.

Back
Top Bottom