Pioneer PL-117d Needle and Cartridge recommendations???

OT

That blue cartridge is at least 20 years old cause I have the same type (mine is green)that I bought at Olsens a good 22 years ago. Does it still play well?

I just bought a Shure M97xE to replace mine. The table I have is a Sansui sr-222. I'll let you know how it sounds when I get it hooked up.

I am afraid to try it. I don't have any 'disposable' vinyl that I would want to risk testing the needle. I might have to pick up a cheap LP from the salvation army down the street for that.
The person I bought the unit from was the original owner and claims he never replaced it because he barely ever used it.

you're not gonna do damage with a play or 2 and it's hardly been used so should be in good cond. IMO. Use it on a song you don't like. Make sure the arm is set up with proper balance, tracking force and anti skate.
The cart/stylus on my TT is 25yrs or so and still sings sweetly(shure V15/III).
Nice lookin TT you got there.

I picked up one of about 20 copies of Frampton Comes Alive from a pal who frequents garage sales. Appears to be in rather fine condition. Plays very well.
While I still have the turntable going, does anyone have any tweaks they want to share??? I read about the hockey puck. I have personally used the penny trick. Did I miss anything??

BuckNaked said:
I picked up one of about 20 copies of Frampton Comes Alive from a pal who frequents garage sales. Appears to be in rather fine condition. Plays very well.
While I still have the turntable going, does anyone have any tweaks they want to share??? I read about the hockey puck. I have personally used the penny trick. Did I miss anything??

Glad you try it out. They are good sounding cartridges with good response from the typical 20hz-20khz. Mine is still playing well but will likely become a backup spare.

Back
Top Bottom