pioneer PL-12D motor issue

yeah we have lots of those big stores, pretty much the same as yours i believe.

im not so good with ac motors but whats the RPM on this?

If you have some small fiber or plastic washers, stack a few on the bottom shaft to lift the bottom of the shaft off the the bottom of the bushing housing slightly (1-2mm). make sure they are lubed and the rotor spins freely before powering up. when the motor is assembled there is some up and down slack on the motor as they tend to jump up or down depending on the field at the moment of energizing. They assemble them so the motor shaft floats between the bushings but the shaft not bottoming out in the bottom housing. If it's bottoming out it will cause noise. This may be causing all the noise problem if it's not side to side vibration.

Rpm probably between 1K and 1.5K rpm.

Gotta run. Wife in Rehab facility (nursing home) and I'm taking the dog down for a visit.

I'm back. Good visit. She barked at all the walking males, but in a wheel chair docile as all get out. Weird. Females no problem. Kissy kissy and all. So she got a new collar on the way home and had a good time in the store. Wallet is a bit thinner tho. Every time I go in Petsmart with the dog, they get me for at least $20.00 US. But this time they only got me for $10.00US. Hehehehe.

I've had dogs all my life but only two females. Sandy was a Shetland sheepdog and had her in High School back in early 70's. Parent's farmed her out to a sheep farmer in Pennsylvania when I was in the Navy. Talk about pissed off. Very protective of me. She was a really well behaved dog, and did what I commanded. Lucy is like the proverbial ditzy blonde. Dumb as an ox, but tries to please you in her own off-beat ways. She's 4now and loves LEFT Shoes. She's ruined 5 pair of shoes aleready and all have been the LEFT Shoe. Go Figure. I think she was trying to get some attention. Damned dog is up my backsides from the time I get up to bedtime, if I'm not in the car and she's there too.

LoL sounds like dogs to me!
wifey did however break the new today! where gonna get a DOG! man....
but i suppose i can go that route too.
and since i have a not so normal amount of stereo gear, she can have a dog right? :D

about the recordplayer: i havnt decided yet wich way to go,
1: ebay motor in pretty much unknown condition,
2: bathroom fan :D dunno about the rpm there, chances are it will go slow or fast,
3: go DC, build a stabilized dc psu maybe even with a pich on say the back of the player. gotta find a motor though.

Just get the motor from Ebay and be done with it instead of complicating things.
Message the seller and ask the condition of the motor.
If he assures it's fine then go for it.

i will try to replace the upper bearing first. im assesing that i have a 20% chance of success:)
found some ballbearings from my RC truck.
worst case would be that i end up destroying the upper bearinghousing.

well i gave up all ideas on fixing the bearing, modifying the player and what not.
so i snatched a motor on ebay. lets hope it works. if the player still has the same issues i´ll run the damn thing over with my car.

well i gave up all ideas on fixing the bearing, modifying the player and what not.
so i snatched a motor on ebay. lets hope it works. if the player still has the same issues i´ll run the damn thing over with my car.

Don't despair yet my friend. If the seller from ebay guarantees it then you should be ok.
Otherwise I'll drive over to your place and run over it with my car too :yikes::yikes::yikes::D:D:D

Oh! and bring a big car too! i have some other stuff i need "taken care" of :D
a humvee should do it.

Last edited:
well the motor was just fine! worked perfect! BUT! i accidentally traded the PL-12 for a JVC QL-A2 with broken pu, so i bought a new AT-95E and threw on it and i am quite blown away by the sound, amazing how good my old records sound.
its been 7years since i used them last time :whip:

so Awesomeaudio you dont have to drive all the way up here.

Last edited:
still dont really get what was the problem with the original motor, its still lying here in pieces and the more i look at it the less a undestand:)

Back
Top Bottom