Pioneer PL-15D Stylus drop too fast

liemjerry

Hi friends

I have Pioneer PL-15D that the Stylus seems drop too fast.
Can I just drop an oil from the gap of suspension pen below the tonearm ? Or I must open bottom cover to do some more adjustmen?

Please suggest
Thanks

You will likely need to open it up and add some silicone to the cue lift post. Oil from the top won't slow it down and the silicone is too thick to apply without disassembly.

The stuff you need is usually about 150,000 to 300,000 CST weight. It's often available in hobby stores.

Last edited:
Andrew beat me to it.

But you'll have to take the TOP off the turntable. There are 2 screws under the platter, one at the front and one at the back, that you loosen and then they slide in slots towards the center spindle. Then you can lift the top plate off.

I would say the silicone that will probably work best with that mid-weight tonearm is 500,000 cSt silicone oil ... sold by hobby shops and online for use in the differentials of RC cars. Very viscous stuff ... thicker than peanut butter. The bottle you'll buy will do 100's of turntables. The other most common viscosity for tonearms is 300,000 cSt. The tonearm lifting platform is attached to a piston that is inside a sleeve. You typically have to remove an actuation lever from underneath, remove the lifting platform from above, remove a c-clip on the piston from below and pull the piston out of the sleeve. Watch out for pesky springs that will go airborne. Then clean the piston and sleeve with isopropyl alcohol. The piston probably has some grooves in it and you fill the grooves with the silicone oil. You don't need to coat the entire piston. Then reassemble.

You can download the service manual here: https://www.vinylengine.com/library/pioneer/pl-15d.shtml. The exploded view in the manual should be of help.

Note this turntable also has a means of adjusting the tonearm elevation speed ... by adjusting the tension on a spring in the elevation mechanism.

When you have the turntable open you might give serious consideration to pulling the center spindle and cleaning / re-oiling it. Maybe a general clean and re-grease of the auto-return mechanism also.

Hope that helps

Possibly. Is it the super viscous silicone stuff? That's what you need and typically a good source is the hobby shop stores which sell brands like Tamiya but I expect they have other products. It should cost you $10 or less and will be enough to last a lifetime.

Regular grease is nowhere near viscous enough for this application. If it doesn't list the CST figure, like the 300,000 mentioned earlier, it's not likely thick enough.

I try to seek the grease and found this :
3596329_955c8ab4_d2ec_492d_8624_9a0c96d739b7_723_397.jpg

can I use this?

No, you need to get a good 500,000 cst Silicone Differential Lube. You can get this at most Hobby stores, I get mine on-line. The reason the damped cueing fails on most of these Asian turntables IS because they only used a thin 200k - 300k cst which goes thin over time with general use and environmental conditions. I've had to re-dampen so many of these over the years. You'll need to get to the underside of cueing piston, remove it and charge the inside of the assembly with a thin coating of that 5000,000 cst Diff Lube. For the rest of the life of that turntable, that arm will fall like a feather!

No, you need to get a good 500,000 cst Silicone Differential Lube. You can get this at most Hobby stores, I get mine on-line. The reason the damped cueing fails on most of these Asian turntables IS because they only used a thin 200k - 300k cst which goes thin over time with general use and environmental conditions. I've had to re-dampen so many of these over the years. You'll need to get to the underside of cueing piston, remove it and charge the inside of the assembly with a thin coating of that 5000,000 cst Diff Lube. For the rest of the life of that turntable, that arm will fall like a feather!

please give me example of 500,000 cst grease lube
most seller online does not mention the cst specs..

Both of the links I provided are 500,000 cSt (centistoke)

I would shy away from any oils marked WT or #. A non-standard rating that varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. For example, the Tamiya oil you mentioned is labeled 500,000 #.

I found this on Indonesia's local store :
Silicone Diff Fluid, 500,000 cSt

Factory Team Silicone Fluids are made of the highest quality materials and are laboratory-tested, resulting in a high-performance blend of premium silicone that provides more consistent differential action as well as longevity.

• New flip-top cap
  • Sticker on lid to quickly find the fluid you are looking for
  • These new fluids allow for finer tuning, providing more options than before
  • Factory Team Silicone Fluids are made in the USA exclusively for Team Associated by Lucas Oil Products, Inc. for consistent viscosity

fotoutama_SxEJS31bVY_20160213.jpg

Remember, you need to take the cueing apart and apply the fluid on the inside of the shaft where the cueing piston moves in and out. I use a tooth pick as this stuff is really thick and you don't want to just squeeze it into the opening, you want to spread it out over the surface. Than, work the piston up and down to spread it. Once you put it all back together, that arm will fall like a feather each time!!! I've had to do this to so many vintage and New turntables...you'll be a pro before long.

Back
Top Bottom