Pioneer PL-41

gkhashem

I finally got around to hooking up this turntable but have an issue.

It turns on and all but the tone arm elevator rises and lowers but does not lower enough to touch album?

What am I doing wrong or is there an adjustment or is the tone arm messed up looks OK?

As I look closer it is like the whole elevator is too high. The elevator drops as low as it can go but it would not touch the record? The unit plays fine when I remove the elevator rubber crescent and drop arm myself.

It does lower and raise from the switch correctly but the range of the lowering is not low enough with the elevator? Do I have to lower the whole thing by loosening the base nut ??? How does this happen seems odd to me.

TT plays nicely otherwise I will post a photo

Get the Owners/Instruction Manual from Vinyl Engine. It will show you how to adjust the tone arm elevator. The stylus should be about 10mm from the record when in the high position. There is an adjustment Screw on the side of the Elevator shaft. The nut on the deck next to the elevator adjusts drop speed.

Photos of the crescent part which the tone arm rests on removed

Actual TT playing notice part remove from elevator base

Attachments

• 20170401_100557.jpg
    20170401_100557.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 20170401_100550.jpg
    20170401_100550.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 27
Removing the elevator arm now make it a totally manual unit. STAY CLOSE so you can lift it at end of record.

Larry I did that and loosened the nut on the top and dropped the arm as low as it goes. But guess what not low enough its like the lower part of the base is too high?? I am puzzled look at the pic of the TT its the lower part of the base?

I can operate it manually, but the elevator does lift and lower. So I am puzzled why the range of the lowering is still not low enough after adjusting the top nut to lower all the way. It seems like I need to lower the lower part of the base that is attached to the TT base.

She works great and looks great except for this issue. While minor it should work.

I'm wondering if the elevator arm you removed is actually the correct part. It should bottom out with the setting in the lowered position and NOT touch the tonearm. You might open the unit up and see if there is another nut on the bottom of the elevator housing, and see if you can back it down some, and while you're in there check the actual operation of the elevator parts themselves. Cycle the elevator low and high and see how it works internally and then determine if there is any kind of adjustment to the mechanism. I've got a PL-25 with a Factory leather clutch in the mechanism. Yeah Leather! You can adjust the tension for fast and slow, but it's the worst design for raising and lowering I've ever seen. Spring loaded, etc.

I'm wondering if the elevator arm you removed is actually the correct part. It should bottom out with the setting in the lowered position and NOT touch the tonearm. You might open the unit up and see if there is another nut on the bottom of the elevator housing, and see if you can back it down some, and while you're in there check the actual operation of the elevator parts themselves. Cycle the elevator low and high and see how it works internally and then determine if there is any kind of adjustment to the mechanism. I've got a PL-25 with a Factory leather clutch in the mechanism. Yeah Leather! You can adjust the tension for fast and slow, but it's the worst design for raising and lowering I've ever seen. Spring loaded, etc.

Larry you got the problem where it bottoms out is not low enough. So I can't imagine why I got to go under the table to adjust this why would anyone alter or adjust this? Unless you are correct again and the rubber rest part is not original to the TT.

I think I figured it out. The tonearm itself is too low in it's mount. Look at the base the tonearm sits in. It should sit a little higher from the base. There will be a set screw. Put the crescent back on. Then put it in the lowest position, and loosen the set screw (if you have a junk stylus now is time to put it on)on the tonearm base. Lift slightly the tonearm until it sits on the record and there is about 4mm between the tonearm and the crescent. Tonearm should be parallel with record when playing. Adjust the tonearm until the arm is parallel with the stylus on the record (use a junk record with the junk stylus). If you don't have a junk stylus or record, be extremely careful with the adjustments so you don't mess up the stylus or record. Tighten down the tonearm, and lift the elevator. The distance between the stylus and the record should be about 10mm in the UP Position. Adjust the crescent to get that.

Well I got it sort of working but the lock nut is different from manual for a PL-41? I left the lock nut off and lowered the base of the assembly some but this make the crescent rubber lift part loose. I wonder if I can lower some more but not in the mood. I will try later

I think I figured it out. The tonearm itself is too low in it's mount. Look at the base the tonearm sits in. It should sit a little higher from the base. There will be a set screw. Put the crescent back on. Then put it in the lowest position, and loosen the set screw (if you have a junk stylus now is time to put it on)on the tonearm base. Lift slightly the tonearm until it sits on the record and there is about 4mm between the tonearm and the crescent. Tonearm should be parallel with record when playing. Adjust the tonearm until the arm is parallel with the stylus on the record (use a junk record with the junk stylus). If you don't have a junk stylus or record, be extremely careful with the adjustments so you don't mess up the stylus or record. Tighten down the tonearm, and lift the elevator. The distance between the stylus and the record should be about 10mm in the UP Position. Adjust the crescent to get that.

Sorry I did not see your response I was thinking this. Let me look it over you may be on to the solution.

BINGO, that's it the tonearm was too low. Now it works fine. The TT is extremely clean the wood and cover are a 9 out of 10 and now it is playing nicely.

Thanks Larry!! No way the eBay seller tested this how were they using it like this?? The screws were tight, shipping did not do this.

Anyone have a suggestion on how to balance the tone arm? I find the instruction in manual hard to follow.

Put the main weight on. Now turn the weight so the RED DOT is at the top with the ZERO (0) at the red dot. Nudge the weight back and forth until the tonearm is parallel to the platter. Keep the red dot at the top. tighten up the set screw on the weight. Now turn the numbered section (as you are facing it from the front anti clockwise) until you get the number corresponding to the weight in grams that the cartridge is best set for. It might be as low as 1gr for a Pickering V15-III or as high as 5gr for a 78 needle for a stanton/pickering ATE with a 78 needle on it. You have to find these settings. But most general carts run between 2 and 3 gr. verify the setting with a scale. set anti skate to same. You're done.

If there is no red dot, just ZERO BALANCE it with the numbered section ZERO at the top. Then turn the numbered section of the weight to the desired weight.

I did the weight wiggle back and forth as in the manual with red dot at top and like Larry said above but when I did the weight was so far back the set screw threads would not catch so I had to move weight back in this is why I asked?

Well I will try again.

Your cartridge is too heavy for the tonearm. Try a lighter total weight cartridge.

OK will do the cartridge came with the TT when I bought it. The head looks correct. Any idea what cartridge goes with this unit?

Back
Top Bottom