Pioneer PL-518

darg

When in doubt, C4
Yeahaa, my first direct drive table. Shot it in the bay and it should be here by end of next week. Only issue is, the feet are broken off but I also found replacements for that.
Downloaded the service manual from VE and plan on recapping the power supply and what not. Any tips upfront on what else to take care of?

Yeahaa, my first direct drive table. Shot it in the bay and it should be here by end of next week. Only issue is, the feet are broken off but I also found replacements for that.
Downloaded the service manual from VE and plan on recapping the power supply and what not.

Any tips upfront on what else to take care of?

Application of DeOxit to VR1 and VR2 potential meters ? :idea:

Deoxit is mandatory. Belongs to my routine when working on old equipment.
I was looking for a replacement stylus too since I don't know how old the installed one is. It has a Stanton D680 in it

Thanks, I found these two too. Contemplating to splurge on the $80 version and maybe as backup the cheaper version also. Would give me the opportunity to figure out a difference :)

The PL-518 is fairly stout and if it's working should not require anything but a clean and lube.

The plinth is a nice candidate for a face lift or even full replacement. Either option can include replacement patch cords and power cord as a little bit of an upgrade.

A little something I recently discovered.....magic eraser is fantastic for bringing out an incredible shine on the tone arm tube.

They play nice. They are decent performers. And they are pretty darn reliable. If it was me, I wouldn't recap unless a visual showed a leaker or a bulge, or if there was some issue.

OP, please shoot me a link to where you got the feet from. Do it via PM, since certain links are not allowed in the general forums.

The PL-518 is a nice table when working as it should.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Sorry, I completely missed out in your question. I got the feet in ebay. The seller is boseafus2112. He sells the set which includes a drill bit to widen the wholes a little bit. It has a marker for the max depth to drill. Since I'm moving and I did not had time to look into the table but put the feet on. Looks fine and should do the job

I designed and uploaded a cartridge alignment template/protractor that you can download and print out on a printer and then use to align any cartridge to your turntable. The PDF document is attached to a tread I started a few months ago: "PL-518 Protractor PDF Document"

I too have this Pioneer turntable, so I designed a template just for it. Though the template could possibly work on other Pioneer turntables in this family of similar turntables.

Click on my user name, and after a window opens up, then click on my 'messages: XX' (40-something messages as of this post). That will send you to my list of postings. Scroll down until you see the one with "PL-518....." in it and click on it. The document is there attached to my original thread post. Click on the attachment to download it to your computer. You will need Adobe Reader to open it. Print it out and follow the instructions I posted on the tread.

Thanks, will check it out. I had one from my Rega P1, do I need table specific protractors and alignment templates? I also through one in the cart when I ordered the styli for the PL518.
This will be the first table where I plan to test different styli (awkward word...)

PL 518 is a solid performer. I still have mine that I bought new and never had a lick of trouble.

I like it so much I recently bought another for my other system. Make sure to pick up an overhang gauge for proper cartridge mounting. These are being reproduced cheaply although not in the same style as the clear plastic gauge originally supplied - not that it matters.

Thanks, will check it out. I had one from my Rega P1, do I need table specific protractors and alignment templates? I also through one in the cart when I ordered the styli for the PL518.
This will be the first table where I plan to test different styli (awkward word...)
If you don't know much about cartridge alignment, then you should probably read up about it. The Internet has tons of info on the subject. After a while, when you gain experience with your PL-518 turntable, then you can start messing around with cartridge alignment.

Every tonearm and the turntable it's attached to have unique turntable geometries. To answer your question. NO. You do not need to go by the alignment recommended by Pioneer for the PL-518. There is enough adjustment in the headshell (moving the cartridge forward and back, rotating the cartridge from side to side) to obtain other alignments.

Changing out the stylus will not mess up the alignment. The diamond tips of whatever styli you use (elliptical, conical etc) should land on the same exact spot on the record.

Now if you change out the headshell/cartridge combo, then yes you will have to make sure that that combo is aligned properly to the PL-518. Hence the need for my protractor. For example, if you take a cartridge/headshell combo off of a Technics turntable and screw it into the PL-518, then that will probably produce a totally different alignment altogether than what was intended for either the PL-518 or the Technics

.I have a half dozen different cartridges all mounted to their own headshells. I had to align them all using a protractor (or if you want you can use a cartridge overhang gauge set to 49mm).

My printable protractor is FREE!

Last edited:
Thanks, the seller of the table had the head shell of the arm but the cartridge was still mounted to the shell. I just checked that is aligned and it looked good to me with the template I had from my Rega so I will let it be. Since I was shopping anyhow at LPGear I just took the template protractor too so that i have one. I have a scale for the fine tuning of the weight already to adjust that once i have the table worked over.

Back
Top Bottom