Pioneer PL-530 Restoration Project

gprels

I'm looking at a PL-530 available locally that needs a lot of work. I have a PL-200 that I'm using now, but I was thinking of picking up a long-term project on the side. Here are some pictures: https://imgur.com/a/Mwz5pzc

Here is the description:

"PL-530 for parts or restoration, some issues with the unit: crack in front of plinth (pictured) no dust cover, and tone arm is a bit loose.. **Though it does power on, platter spins and 33/45 speeds seem accurate, light works and tone arm returns auto... if you're knowledgeable/handy with working on these turntables you could turn it into the beautiful machine it's meant to be."

Even if I bought a really clean PL-530, I would still take it apart in order to remove the vinyl from the plinth and apply real walnut veneer. I'm a woodworker, so I'm OK attempting to repair that crack/split in the plinth with some wood glue or wood filler and sanding it down. The notorious broken tonearm base doesn't seem like that bad of a repair. I noticed the aluminum center ring is missing from the platter, but I could probably have the machine shop at work make a new one if I could find the dimensions of it anywhere or measure the platter.

The biggest issue is how crazily expensive a new dustcover and parted out dustcover hinges are. I'd probably try to find someone locally to make a dustcover for hopefully less than the $150+ on the auction site. The seller says his absolute bottom price is $70. What are your thoughts on that?

I'd pass.

I know TTs can be expensive, but there are better deals out there. I picked up a Pioneer PL550 and a Technics SL1300, both in very good cosmetic shape, for $100 for the pair. No way I'd pay $70 for something that rough.

I'd pass.

I know TTs can be expensive, but there are better deals out there. I picked up a Pioneer PL550 and a Technics SL1300, both in very good cosmetic shape, for $100 for the pair. No way I'd pay $70 for something that rough.

You're probably right. I got my integrated amp for $50, for example. I was hoping he'd take something like $40, but he is probably trying to make some of his own money back.

OP I ended up buying this very table for the $70 the seller wanted. Probably not the best idea, but I'll see what I can do with it. I'm willing to spend $70 for the opportunity to either fix or totally destroy a nice turntable... wish me luck.

OP I ended up buying this very table for the $70 the seller wanted. Probably not the best idea, but I'll see what I can do with it. I'm willing to spend $70 for the opportunity to either fix or totally destroy a nice turntable... wish me luck.

Haha that’s awesome, good luck! Honestly the main thing putting me off was sourcing a new dust cover and hinges. Just can’t swallow how much those cost. I ended up getting the manual version of this table (PL-510) that’s good to go from a member on here. It’s in the mail right now.

Haha that’s awesome, good luck! Honestly the main thing putting me off was sourcing a new dust cover and hinges. Just can’t swallow how much those cost. I ended up getting the manual version of this table (PL-510) that’s good to go from a member on here. It’s in the mail right now.
Nice! I've been playing with the 530 a little this morning between work calls, and if nothing else all the auto functions work great (buttons are a touch wonky, need Deoxit). As long as I can fix the plinth and that common tonearm problem, I'm fine with leaving off the dust cover for a while. Out of curiosity, what were your plans for the plinth? Because best I can figure, the solution is more or less wood glue and padded clamps in a couple of spots.

You could dress it up with wood veneer? And keep on the lookout for a turntable dust cover that will fit. I had a dual 621 like that which I picked up at Value Village for $20. I had a spare sled and cartridge, so I started looking for a replacement dust cover. I found one plus a nicer plinth at another trip to Value Village with a dual 1224. I took out the 1224 and put in the 621. Bingo! $250 table!

Nice! I've been playing with the 530 a little this morning between work calls, and if nothing else all the auto functions work great (buttons are a touch wonky, need Deoxit). As long as I can fix the plinth and that common tonearm problem, I'm fine with leaving off the dust cover for a while. Out of curiosity, what were your plans for the plinth? Because best I can figure, the solution is more or less wood glue and padded clamps in a couple of spots.

I have a shed happy dog, so I don't have a choice but to have a cover, unfortunately. I had been thinking some kind of combination of wood filler and wood glue, or maybe just wood glue like you said. I'd strip all of the vinyl off first though, get it nice and square and then apply real walnut veneer. I think I had thought of wood filler so I could sand it down smooth afterwards rather than wood glue.

Out of curiosity, did it come with a cartridge? I ordered a Nagaoka MP-110 for this PL-510 so I can sell my PL-200 complete once it comes in.

I have a shed happy dog, so I don't have a choice but to have a cover, unfortunately. I had been thinking some kind of combination of wood filler and wood glue, or maybe just wood glue like you said. I'd strip all of the vinyl off first though, get it nice and square and then apply real walnut veneer. I think I had thought of wood filler so I could sand it down smooth afterwards rather than wood glue.

Out of curiosity, did it come with a cartridge? I ordered a Nagaoka MP-110 for this PL-510 so I can sell my PL-200 complete once it comes in.
It has a cartridge but it's not usable, as far as I can tell. Definitely needs a stylus. I'll upload a photo later.

You could dress it up with wood veneer? And keep on the lookout for a turntable dust cover that will fit. I had a dual 621 like that which I picked up at Value Village for $20. I had a spare sled and cartridge, so I started looking for a replacement dust cover. I found one plus a nicer plinth at another trip to Value Village with a dual 1224. I took out the 1224 and put in the 621. Bingo! $250 table!
I have a 530 that I love. There are replacement covers on Ebay that are brand new. A bit spendy but if you get it looking good it is well worth it.

Here's the cartridge status on the 530:

cNA54rd.png

labLZ2a.png

So not great. I'm not sure that's salvageable. Could I just get a replacement stylus for it do you think?

I actually don't have much experience in that area. It might be better to just get a new cartridge altogether.

Back
Top Bottom