Pioneer PL 530 Tonearm Won't Return to The Arm Rest

PM Aker vdplag. He had the same problem with his and he found someone local to fabricate the broken piece for cheap.

I have a PL-500X that does the same thing but IIRC there is a thread devoted to it. If I can locate it I'll guide you to it.

Sorry....lost the link but I KNOW it does exist. I'm sure someone else will chime in with it.PSps

Last edited:
There is a piece of foam inside that has deteriorated / disintegrated. Take the bottom off and look for remnants of where this foam piece once was . You can then clean it and glue a new piece of foam rubber on and it will return all the way. Sorry for not being more descriptive , but when you go in and examine the tone arm automation bits and pieces , the part I'm referring to will be obvious. In the mean time I'll try to find a previous thread to link to.

Found it here post #14 and #19 have good pics from service manual.

Last edited:
The tonearm stops about a 1/2" short of the tonearm rest upon return

This is a fully auto TT, so it is most likely an adjustment issue (see my thread regarding Denon DP-35F). Prior to adjusting my Denon it used to stop on the edge of the tonearm rest, after adjustment it goes all the way in.

In my case I had to pay $15.00 for the service manual. In your case, you can find it free at Vinyl Engine. Read it, and it is very similar to how the Denon arm adjust.

Download the Service Manual, and follow the instructions given under Chapter 11 (Adjustments). I believe Section 11.4 and/or 11.7 is what you are looking for.

This is a fully auto TT, so it is most likely an adjustment issue (see my thread regarding Denon DP-35F). Prior to adjusting my Denon it used to stop on the edge of the tonearm rest, after adjustment it goes all the way in.

In my case I had to pay $15.00 for the service manual. In your case, you can find it free at Vinyl Engine. Read it, and it is very similar to how the Denon arm adjust.

Download the Service Manual, and follow the instructions given under Chapter 11 (Adjustments). I believe Section 11.4 and/or 11.7 is what you are looking for.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'm looking at 11.7 and the instructions say "1. Set SIZE lever to 25 position" I don't understand what (25 position is)?. The instructions are rather vague. bob

i just got a pl-530 yesterday and had the same issue. the foam had deteriorated so i cut a 1/4"x1/4"x1/4" piece of foam and glued it in. works perfectly now. EASY fix

i just got a pl-530 yesterday and had the same issue. the foam had deteriorated so i cut a 1/4"x1/4"x1/4" piece of foam and glued it in. works perfectly now. EASY fix

That's great news. Congrats on your new aquisition! I'll have to replace that foam soon. Thanks

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I'm looking at 11.7 and the instructions say "1. Set SIZE lever to 25 position" I don't understand what (25 position is)?. The instructions are rather vague. bob

Not familiar with the PL-530, the instructions on the Denon are also kind of confusing, so for me it was trial and error. 25 Position might refer to the size of a 12" LP, though that is really 30 cm., but who knows.

There is a piece of foam inside that has deteriorated / disintegrated. Take the bottom off and look for remnants of where this foam piece once was . You can then clean it and glue a new piece of foam rubber on and it will return all the way. Sorry for not being more descriptive , but when you go in and examine the tone arm automation bits and pieces , the part I'm referring to will be obvious. In the mean time I'll try to find a previous thread to link to.

Found it here post #14 and #19 have good pics from service manual.

Good call!! . . . thanks for the link

I wonder if I could use a block of Magic Eraser for foam? :scratch2:

Good call!! . . . thanks for the link

I wonder if I could use a block of Magic Eraser for foam? :scratch2:

I would suggest using teflon, it will never deteriorate nor deform. Cut a piece from a chopping board. Gluing teflon might be another story all together.

trying to upload a pic of old remaining Orange foam ...

So, I found old foam and within 25 minutes had glued a new replacement piece in, reassembled and tested and all works great! THIS IS THE SOLUTION!

Attachments

• PL-530:2OLD FOAM copy.jpg
    PL-530:2OLD FOAM copy.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 348
Foam location

trying to upload a pic of old remaining Orange foam ...

So, I found old foam and within 25 minutes had glued a new replacement piece in, reassembled and tested and all works great! THIS IS THE SOLUTION!

Thanks for the picture!

I got my Pioneer PL-530 as a parts unit a couple of summers ago.

It had the same problem.

A friend helped me with the fix because I was not able to find the location of the foam myself. :D

Back
Top Bottom