Pioneer pl 570 big disappointment

DS1784

Was waiting for a turntable that i have been trying to find for quite some time. the pioneer pl 570 from the late 1970's. found one on the bay auction number 5726932885, contacted seller and he said it is near perfect, he knows how to ship it, bla bla bla. so i pay a bit much for this table but it seems to be perfect in the pics and description. email seller a few times said no problem he can ship it safely. well guess what he sure can't package and the table has many flaws. single wall box with a couple pieces of cardboard thrown on the bottom and some old foam thrown on the sides. he shipped it fedex and the box came in perfect condition, so i don't think it was any problem with fedex's shipping. what do we have now, bent stylus, cracked dust cover from shipping. as far as his bad description goes , plier marks on tone arm rest, missing one rubber foot, tone arm rest falling off, record selector size missing ball bearing indexing stop so knob won't stay in place. so did i just get his bad table and he kept his good one? the pics are sure not of the table i got. so i contacted paypal and they have frozen his account while they investgate. he has called me everthing but a human being. he says look at his great feedback, yes it's great, moral of the story: if they deserve a negative then give it to them, do not be afraid of the retalitory negative. we must start pushing these bone heads out of ebay. this guy just plain lied to me, he left me great feedback because i paid him five minutes after the auction ended. i will leave him the proper feedback after the paypal investigation. any other thoughts on this?

I believe the two biggest problems with buying gear from someone unknown is whether the description fits the goods, and will the item be packed well enough to withstand shipping. I've been fortunate most of the time with buying well-described items. Unfortunately, good packing is usually lacking. I have found that the box does not need to show damage for there to be damage to the item inside the box. I've had rear panels of amps pushed in and the boxes not show any signs of abuse. I feel that in all the cases I've experienced, the fault has been with the seller. This does not mean that I excuse rough handling by shipping companies. It's just that the packaging inside has not been sufficient to ensure safe, undamaged arrival. In my opinion, there is nothing more frustrating in the vintage audio hobby then buying an item listed in mint to near mint condition but have it damaged due to poor packing. The last two vintage items I've purchased through the internet have arrived with slight damage. I contacted the seller in both cases and a refund of some of the purchase price was given. I believe this was justified since the items didn't arrive in the shape they were in when purchased.

In your case, both misrepresentation and bad shipping practices were involved. I hope this is quickly resolved in your favor. Perry

after contacting the seller he called me every name in the book. thats why i contacted paypal. i don't have any experience with dealing with paypal in these matters, but i hope everything turns out okay, this morning i get my fedex drivers at my door saying he is ready to pick up the turntable. i did not give it to him. what the heck, it's the only thing i have to show for my 370.00 dollars. this really is not a fedex problem it's a seller problem. i told fedex that i would take $150.00 refund from this seller to settle this. i can buy a new stylus and find another dust cover for this table for that. so far i'm still waiting to hear from paypal.

My PL-570 experience was disappointing, although not as bad as yours. I guess the loudmouth flea market scumbags have discovered that they can sell "old stereos" for $$$ on eBay..the more I look at auctions for gear the more I want to just :puke: at the listings. I saw one blowhard listing his sx780 receiver as "diamond" conditon..:wtf:

Except for the nick here, the scratches there, and the mismatched knobs the damn thing was MINT i tell you..F**in MINT DIAMOND.

Makes me sad for the society we live in, but it's been comin a longg time.

My PL-570 was a "featured" listing in the turntable section. Shoulda known right then I guess :(

Perfect in every detail, cosmetic and operating. Perfect. Absolute. Comes with original box, tools, manual, receipt etc etc etc.

Paid $470 for it including insured shipping.

Yea it's cosmetic are right out of a time machine, I'd have to say. It is perfect. However..functionally it was a different story. Suffice it to say I just plunked down another $280 to have it repaired. Damn thing still aint' right..but at least it works without sounding like it's going to self destruct now.

Contacted the seller about it when it arrived. He swore on everything high and mighty about his good name and honesty and all that's right in Texas..his home state..that that table was as PERFECT as his ad stated.

Bullshit. The tech who repaired it said it's biggest problem was that it hadn't been used in at least 15 or 20 years..not once. The lube was completely dried.

Caveat Emptor..for damn sure on eBay. I'm almost through even thinking of buying anything there again.

Sorry to hear your experience was even worse :(

Let's not pussyfoot around...here's the auction, hosted by owlman2163.

Sorry, but assholes need to know that word gets around.

BTW, if you paid PalPay, they should stuff this guy.

Thanx echowars for the help. paypal is a joke when this happens. they will freeze the guys account and it will be frozen for about a month, that puts a little crimp in his operation. but,,,,,, it all boils down to is your on your own. after three weeks of " investigating " by pay pal they gave me there canned response. ship the table to a third party and have them give you a report on the complete condition of the unit typed on there letter head. ya right, you can't even find anyone to repair this gear anymore. thats why we do it ourselfs. so now according to pay pal i'm suppose to spend another $50.00 to $75.00 dollars for this. this sellers pictures looked great, but the table isn't. it just proves that you can't make chicken salad from chicken shi*.

p.s. i offered to email pics to paypal and they didn't want to hear it. it's just to bad that paypal and ebay are the only real game around/

someone needs to knock a chip in their armour

so this morning i get an e mail from square trade that this bone head i got the lousy table from is trying to get my feedback removed.

can ebay or square trade do this? i thought that once a feedback was left that it can not be changed.

otherwise how is anyone to know if these sellers are anygood or not.

Feedback CAN be removed by Ebay now. If the seller pays for dispute resolution and Ebay finds he is "correct" feedback can be removed. Or feedback can be removed if both parties agree to it. I remember seeing a case on The People's Court where a defendant left slanderous feedback and the judge had the feedback removed. :)

BTW checking that sellers feedback, he appears to be a jack of all trades. Sells everything under the sun, from licence plates to soap dishes to lawn tractors. That would be a red flag to me.

Mike

here we go again with ebay. seems to me the only way to weed out the turds in the sellers arena is with the feedback system. so if ebay removes this feedback for a price, what good is the feedback system. so you get these bad guys once and a while, i will always leave a negative if it is deserved. sure, i do get the retalitory negative from this but it think i owe it to the community to slam someone when they deserve it.

:yes: :rockon: Yep I agree. Dispute resolution was $20 last time I looked but it doesn't guarantee feedback removal. The seller needs to prove the feedback is unwarranted. Highly unlikely in this case. But hey the seller can just choose to keep his feedback private and no one see's it anyway. Ebay is a joke half the time.

Mike

I just bought two CDs from this seller with private feedback but a 525/100% score. Turns out he was not in the US as his account says; he is in the UK. Guess that's why he keeps the feedback comments private, so he can continue to masquarade as a US seller of UK import CDs, instead of a UK seller of UK product to the US (with the longer shipping time that that takes). Interesting ruse, which eBay is enabling with their "private" feedback -- Foe

Back
Top Bottom