Pioneer PL-600 TT Issue

gizzyman, my repair guy works out of his garage, and it has been butt cold. Said he'd tackle it in the spring. You say it is easy. I'm pretty much the equivalent of club-footed where repairs are concerned. Scared I'd mess it up.

It's on permanent loan from a family friend, so I don't actually own it, tho it will never be asked for return.

How laborious was it, actually? I put a belt on a Marantz cdp I bought on Bartertown. Hell, maybe I can do it? Thanks for chiming in.

The belt is really really easy to do, I am replacing mine today. I found a guy that has them for $4.50 shipped... arrived in 4 days. There is a tutorial here on Ak. If you can remove some screws you can do this as the PL-600 is very uncluttered under the hood.

The belt is really really easy to do, I am replacing mine today. I found a guy that has them for $4.50 shipped... arrived in 4 days. There is a tutorial here on Ak. If you can remove some screws you can do this as the PL-600 is very uncluttered under the hood.

Well, I can definitely do THAT, haha.

Could you please tell me where you found the belt? Thank you.

Just as Bstable said, Its easy. Here's a rundown:
1. remove the head shell
2. remove the tonearm weight
3. remove the dust cover
4. remove the platter
5. remove the screws securing the black plate under the platter
6. remove the feet by unscrewing the screws then unscrewing the feet until you can pull the foot out.
7. remove the yellowish colored screws (3) under the platter if they are present.
8. Careful: once those yellow screws are removed and the feet are removed, the body will come loose from the base. If the yellow screws are not present on your table, the body will come loose when the feet are removed.
9. remove the two screws holding the black plate where the power cord and cables are.
10. unplug the 4 electrical connectors from the boards. the one on the far left requires you to pry the clip while you pull it up. the others you just push off the connectors.
11. lift the top body up and over the tonearm. swing the arm so that the body will pass over the arm without damaging it. once clear of the arm, lay the body on its top on something soft.
12. locate the screws holding the tonearm assembly to the base and remove.
13. lift the assembly and you will see the small tonearm belt.
14. remove the old belt and install the new one.
15. reassemble table in the reverse order.

Looks like a lot of work but really it isn't. just take your time and have a good clear work area with good light. Hope this helps!

Iirc, before you disassemble it, listen to see if the tonearm elevation motor is spinning- if it isn't the new belt won't fix it.

I got the belt from blue3602000 on the auction site. As you can see in the picture it is smaller than the (original??) belt that came off of my PL-600. I have no idea how much the old one stretched, but since my tonearm was hardly moving the new belt may be just about right. width dimensions seem to be right on. I cleaned the old white grease off of the cog and applied some new lithium grease. I didn't address the rotted boot situation yet, but since this TT is so easy to get into, am going to put it back together and see if there are any issues. The rubber is still intact between the plinths it is just the rubber that covered the spring that is gone.

Attachments

• Photos 159.jpg
    Photos 159.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 22
  • Photos 160.jpg
    Photos 160.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 22
Iirc, before you disassemble it, listen to see if the tonearm elevation motor is spinning- if it isn't the new belt won't fix it.

I don't hear a thing. Nary a single thing.

Last week I thought I noticed that the arm was being slow to return, that seems to implicate a belt issue, tho.

I think I'll attempt this on a day when the grandbaby isn't coming over. :yes:

Wonderful how-to, gents. Much appreciated.

I don't hear a thing. Nary a single thing.

Last week I thought I noticed that the arm was being slow to return, that seems to implicate a belt issue, tho.

I think I'll attempt this on a day when the grandbaby isn't coming over. :yes:

Wonderful how-to, gents. Much appreciated.

My platter was stuck. I used a thin 9" piece of wood to free it. Simply center the wood on the spindle, place both thumbs on the ends of the wood, and curl two fingers under the holes in the platter and push up. I put mine back together in 5 minutes...it is that simple.

Check out Edriz's thread.... it is even easier to follow on the belt replacement procedure.

Well, the platter moves freely when the arm is lead over it. But the arm is stuck in the "Up" position, and pushing the elevate button does nothing. No sound, no light, nothing.

I'm gonna have to get it apart, see what is happening.

Well, the platter moves freely when the arm is lead over it. But the arm is stuck in the "Up" position, and pushing the elevate button does nothing. No sound, no light, nothing.

I'm gonna have to get it apart, see what is happening.

I meant platter removal. The platter should lift off. Mine would not lift off. My wood trick worked immediately, and didn't stress other parts.

I meant platter removal. The platter should lift off. Mine would not lift off. My wood trick worked immediately, and didn't stress other parts.

Yes, that's a great way to get the platter off. Will be utilizing it, as mine has seized up again (had it off a few years back, but wouldn't budge of late).

Old post I appreciate -

Most things are working fine on my PL-600 and I have seen a couple of threads discussing this issue - but no joy to my problem.

The power switch is stuck "on." On looking underneath after dissembly, I can see that the silver button activates a plastic lever, there is a spring-loaded switch that isnt electrically conncted, which simply seems to provide the tension to holding down a microswitch that provides the power switching.

The Alps spring loaded switch isnt coming up far enough to provide the tension to the entire mechanism. May this need replacing? Have tried cleaning it.

A bit hard ot describe the issue I know. Anyone else fixed powerswitch issues on this TT?

thanks!

Back
Top Bottom