Pioneer PL-630 Quartz Lock ?

CohibaJoe

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Picked up a nice PL-630 on Fleebay for $95. Needed a GOOD cleaning as the
buttons were sticking...hence the Price which by chance I offered the seller $95 and he took it. I also am getting another PL-630 this Friday as I made an offer for the same price and that seller setup a Buy-It-Now...Yeh Yeh I no, but hey..Why not..:D

I am recapping and still need to do the Tonearm and Motor.

?...When I turn off the Quartz Lock the meter needle will slowly move to -(slow)
side of the meter. Turn On Quartz Lock and TT runs fine. All switches cleaned with Contant Restorer. If I move the Rotary Quartz switch it does move the needle + or -..but still the unit will move at the - end and the TT will come to a stop.

Any ideas on was is going on :scratch2:

Also...came with a Audio Technica MK14SII cart..Is this any good??

still need to do the Tonearm and Motor.
What do you mean by this?

Don't rewire the tonearm unless it has a problem. You're opening up a can of worms that you may well regret. And what are you planning to do with the motor? Quartz lock motors are sealed and require no lubrication or maintenance. Again, another can of worms.

Don't rewire the tonearm unless it has a problem. You're opening up a can of worms that you may well regret. And what are you planning to do with the motor? Quartz lock motors are sealed and require no lubrication or maintenance. Again, another can of worms.
Agree 100%.

Download the service manual if you haven't, and do the alignment for the meter found on page 37.

http://www.kallhovde.com/pioneer/pl-630sm.pdf

That I still need to recap Tonearm and Motor boards. Would never open Motor or Tonearm...As everthing else and plays Very Nice....

So my question still is...Why for the drop of speed when Quartz Lock switch is off....Light is on and Speed needle slowly moves to -.

It sounds like the speed pot is still dirty and maybe the quartz lock switch, too. What is "constant restorer?" Googled it and found nothing. Maybe try Caig Deoxit, which is what most folks here use.

It sounds like the speed pot is still dirty and maybe the quartz lock switch, too. What is "constant restorer?" Googled it and found nothing. Maybe try Caig Deoxit, which is what most folks here use.

Chemtronics Kontact Restorer...Have used this for all projects.

Not sure about the speed pot as I soak the switch...Plus it will move the needle when first start-up.

Maybe a trip to service on this one???

Again, runs fine with Quartz lock on.

Chemtronics Kontact Restorer...Have used this for all projects.

Not sure about the speed pot as I soak the switch...Plus it will move the needle when first start-up.

Maybe a trip to service on this one???

Again, runs fine with Quartz lock on.
You have to clean the speed pot, too. They're linked.

Both tables exhibit symptoms of dirty/oxidized speed controls. Clean the speed pot, speed select switch, and quartz lock switch, using DeOxit D5. For particularly difficult switches, I disassemble and clean the contacts with a pencil eraser, then reassemble and DeOxit. Verify proper operation of switch contacts to be less than 1/2 ohm consistently, when active, through repeated actuation, each contact combination.

When confident of proper contact operation of controls, perform Direct Drive Motor Operating Point adjustment, per service manual, followed by speed adjustment. Here is a reference: http://audiokarma.org/forums/showpost.php?p=928192&postcount=20

You will need a frequency counter and a dual-trace oscilloscope, or don't mess with the adjustment pots.

You can get the service manual here: http://www.stereomanuals.com/man/org/pioneer/pioneer-pl-originals.htm. You can also trust his reproduction manuals and pdf downloads.

Enjoy,
Rich P

?...When I turn off the Quartz Lock the meter needle will slowly move to -(slow)
side of the meter. Turn On Quartz Lock and TT runs fine. All switches cleaned with Contant Restorer. If I move the Rotary Quartz switch it does move the needle + or -..but still the unit will move at the - end and the TT will come to a stop.

Hi, i know this is an old post, but i think this answer may help someone with this problem.

My 630 had the same behaviour described in the quote. I tried cleaning the switches but it didnt work. The needle keept moving to - position.

After some tests, i unsoldered VR1 from the oscillator assembly, and guess what... when i tested it with de MM it was totally out of specs. It showed 3omhs when it was supposed to be around 10komhs!!! I think it may be fractured or something like that.
When i replaced this pot with another (sealed type, so it will last longer) the problem was solved!!! Speed was stable again!!!
I took a photo showing the new pot in its place, and another of the old one.IMG_8644.JPG IMG_8642.JPG
Regards
Rodrigo

Hi, i know this is an old post, but i think this answer may help someone with this problem.

My 630 had the same behaviour described in the quote. I tried cleaning the switches but it didnt work. The needle keept moving to - position.

After some tests, i unsoldered VR1 from the oscillator assembly, and guess what... when i tested it with de MM it was totally out of specs. It showed 3omhs when it was supposed to be around 10komhs!!! I think it may be fractured or something like that.
When i replaced this pot with another (sealed type, so it will last longer) the problem was solved!!! Speed was stable again!!!
I took a photo showing the new pot in its place, and another of the old one.View attachment 933990 View attachment 933971
Regards
Rodrigo
WOW....I have a spear(Parts Unit) 630 that is doing the same...Let me give it a shot...

Back
Top Bottom