Pioneer PL-630 Rubber Boots

mklein357

I would like to make new rubber boots for my PL-630. The originals are gone. Does anyone have the dimensions of the boot? I'm going to try first a simple 3D-printed mold and mold new boots with a 2 part silicone.

I can't help you with the dimensions but I would be interested in getting some of them from you when you have everything all set up. I bet that I am not the only one either.

Yes. Suspension boots. Should be a fairly simple mold. In a previous life, I made silicone molds and urethane castings regularly. Now it's just a matter of getting the dimensions. I should be able to reverse engineer from pics on the web and taking measurements from the existing feet and springs, but I figured someone may have the ability to provide the dim's. If it works, I will post that I have some available.

From what I have read they are an integral piece in the suspension of the table. I found this on the interweb.
"The boots provide the necessary centering as well as the damping and isolation of the spring metal from any other solid component."

On my PL-630, the boots are gone and consequently, ( I assume) the springs actually bottom out due to the weight of the deck above. So without the additional boot support, the springs are rendered useless.

After looking at online pics, the design isn't as simple as I originally thought. There appears to be an undercut where the spring is affixed at one end. I'll have to take some measurements from the springs and mount surfaces to engineer this here boot properly.

Last edited:
I wonder why the engineers didn't put springs in that could carry the weight without the help of rubber boots. Maybe the boots are a dampening factor as well as a spring assist.

The springs cannot bottom out, since the weight is stretching them, rather than compressing them. The boots provide a different amount of compliance, and serve to damp the bounce that would result from springs alone.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Interesting. OK. That must be why the spring is affixed into one end of the boot. When I looked underneath my table, I assumed the springs were over compressed and caused the bottoming out. I'll try to dig into this over the weekend.

I remade the 'boots' on an PL-250 by stretching a couple of nitrile glove fingers over the springs. Got a pic of one of the PL-630 boots?

I'm not sure about the PL-630, but some Pioneer turntables have adjustments around the spring/boot/leg assembly which have to be set in order to set the height of the springs and the amount of space there is in the table for the platter etc to hang on. If this isn't right, it will bottom out easily.

In addition to that, the springs are color coded for strength. I think this is to help balance the deck as each corner weighs more or less because of tone arm, controls etc. If the springs are put back in in the wrong places again, bottoming out not being able to keep it level etc.

I'm not sure about the PL-630, but some Pioneer turntables have adjustments around the spring/boot/leg assembly which have to be set in order to set the height of the springs and the amount of space there is in the table for the platter etc to hang on. If this isn't right, it will bottom out easily.

In addition to that, the springs are color coded for strength. I think this is to help balance the deck as each corner weighs more or less because of tone arm, controls etc. If the springs are put back in in the wrong places again, bottoming out not being able to keep it level etc.

The feet in a PL-630 have an adjustment collar on the shaft to adjust the suspension strength. Once you've replaced the boots and reassembled the turntable, you can leave the screws loose and rotate the feet individually until the top of the plinth is level with the tonearm and platter all the way around. Takes a little time, but not hard to do. Once level, just tighten the screws or leave them how they are if you're not moving the table around as tightening may change the adjustment slightly.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Spring rates are not all the same so don't get them mixed up.

I looked in the service manual and I stand corrected. mkane and QSilver are right about the difference in springs. There are 2 different ones. A PBH-169 "Spring C" that's installed in the front left and rear right, and a PBH-154 "Spring A" that's installed in the rear left and front right.
Good call guys!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom