Pioneer PL600 (DD, 24 lbs version) rotates in reverse direction

ultrasparc

Hi all

I've my eyes on this heavy old beauty, which I can get for 40 $ - but seller says the platter rotates in the reverse direction :eek:

Has anybody ever seen this error?

But the big question is naturally if it can be repaired, and if so without too much trouble?

Maybe its a faulty, unobtaianable component => can't be fixed
Maybe it just needs replacement of caps and/or other pieces => can be fixed
or something completely different...

Hope to get some opinions

Cheers
Ole

Check the caps, C8 thru C11 first. These filter the power to the control IC. That drive system is a 3 phase motor controlled by IC1(a Pioneer proprietary IC). Feedback from H1, H2 and H3 hall effects in the motor are suspect as well as IC1 which controls the phase direction. Check output of each hall effect with a scope. Pins (6,7) (8,9) and (10,11) on the motor. If it holds speed and ALWAYS goes in reverse, you could just try swapping any two of the three motor leads, LA, LB or LC, pins 2, 3 and 4 at the motor. This will reverse the direction of the phases to the motor. Of course if the IC is failed but still maintaining an incorrect direction control it might adjust to the swap and still run backwards. If that is the case try exchanging hall effects, pin 7 with 8 and pin 6 with 9. Manual and schematic are available at Vinyl Engine.

Last edited:
Check the caps, C8 thru C11 first. These filter the power to the control IC. That drive system is a 3 phase motor controlled by IC1(a Pioneer proprietary IC). Feedback from H1, H2 and H3 hall effects in the motor are suspect as well as IC1 which controls the phase direction. Check output of each hall effect with a scope. Pins (6,7) (8,9) and (10,11) on the motor.

If it holds speed and ALWAYS goes in reverse, you could just try swapping any two of the three motor leads, LA, LB or LC, pins 2, 3 and 4 at the motor. This will reverse the direction of the phases to the motor. Of course if the IC is failed but still maintaining an incorrect direction control it might adjust to the swap and still run backwards. If that is the case try exchanging hall effects, pin 7 with 8 and pin 6 with 9. Manual and schematic are available at Vinyl Engine.

Thanks, that is just the kind of info I was hoping for :).

I will get back to seller and ask if speed is steady, and rotation is consistant - funny you mention the option to swap wires - we were making a joke about that :D

I have downloaded the manual previously, and now I have located the components you point out on the schematic. I can only hope for that the culprit are found in the caps, and that IC1 is intact.

A friend just experienced that with a Denon table. Figured he would just replace all the caps and that took care of the problem. He didn't say which specific cap(s) solved the problem.

A friend just experienced that with a Denon table. Figured he would just replace all the caps and that took care of the problem. He didn't say which specific cap(s) solved the problem.

If replacing the caps will do the job, it would be great.

I think I'll take my chances and get the TT then - if it turnes out I can't fix it, it will one of my minor error investments.

Thanks for your input :thumbsup:

If replacing the caps will do the job, it would be great.

I think I'll take my chances and get the TT then - if it turnes out I can't fix it, it will one of my minor error investments.

Thanks for your input :thumbsup:

No promises, but the few examples I know of with reverse rotation issues have always been corrected by a cap swap.

No promises, but the few examples I know of with reverse rotation issues have always been corrected by a cap swap.
I won't hold you responsible ;) but the fact that you have seen more than one (?) example that was cured by replacing the caps, is a cause for optimism.

Last edited:
OK, just heard from seller. He says that platter goes back and forth, and spindel the same thing with platter removed.

Still worth trying - or too riske/difficult?

Is it safe to ship without transportation screws ?

Cheers
Ole

Probably a cap, but no guarantees.
As far as shipping, secure the tonearm, (twist ties to arm rest), remove platter, cartridge, arm weight and cover. Wrap each, individually, very well. As long as it is well padded and boxed it should do fine.

Probably a cap, but no guarantees.
I'm optimistic.
As far as shipping, secure the tonearm, (twist ties to arm rest), remove platter, cartridge, arm weight and cover. Wrap each, individually, very well. As long as it is well padded and boxed it should do fine.

Very good, I'll ask him to do as suggested. I didn't think of removing the arm weight, good point, and also securing arm to rest.

Last edited:
OK, just heard from seller. He says that platter goes back and forth, and spindel the same thing with platter removed.

Still worth trying - or too riske/difficult?

Is it safe to ship without transportation screws ?

Cheers
Ole
These tables should not be run with the platter off, high risk of damage to the motor. Probably once or twice won't hurt anything, but I would avoid doing this.

What does it do with the platter on? If it runs in reverse this is probably a cap change as mentioned. Good news is that the motor runs.

These tables should not be run with the platter off, high risk of damage to the motor. Probably once or twice won't hurt anything, but I would avoid doing this.

What does it do with the platter on? If it runs in reverse this is probably a cap change as mentioned. Good news is that the motor runs.

From #10:

"OK, just heard from seller. He says that platter goes back and forth, and spindel the same thing with platter removed."​

I suppose he just wanted to see if made a difference with the platter off.

The spindle going back and forth is normal when the platter is removed and you try to run it. DON'T do this as mprince says.

From #10:

"OK, just heard from seller. He says that platter goes back and forth, and spindel the same thing with platter removed."​

I suppose he just wanted to see if made a difference with the platter of.

Well, I just got the TT this week - seller had a friend bring it over in his car, so safe transportation :thumbsup:
I've taken it apart and unmounted the elctrolytical caps, and am ready to place an order for replacements - almost.

The point is that there are 3 NP caps (C15,C35,C36) among, that are not easy to find in denmark. Mouser carries them of course, but the shipping cost for such a small order.....

I will inquire a couple of vendors and hope for a positive answer.

Other than that it looks OK, some scratches on the dust cover, some dust on the inside and those inside rubber covers for the feet are not in one piece o_O

Back
Top Bottom