Pioneer pl91 getting a little warm.

art2music58

I just bought a near mint f91 tuner from audioclassics it sound great i have it hooked to a Z-Man audio signal enhancer (a tubed out put buffer) now it just gets a little warm on the top panel left side front (tranformer?) as i said this combination is great but am i hurting the tuner,the heat never increases past as certain point any help would be great.Thanks Guys.Randy.

Randy

Have you done an experiment where you use the tuner for several hours without the Z-Man audio signal enhancer and then add it to the system and run it for an equal amount of time? You can tape a digital thermometer on the hot spot and insulate the element with a piece styrofoam. After an hour of run time in each case you would have two accurate measurements and be able to see if there was a real difference.

If this audio signal enhancer is being fed into the tuner via the antenna feed do you know exactly how much it is boosting the signal. Is it necessary to even run it? Most tuners don't need this. You would be better off getting a better antenna. Even a $5.00 Rat Shack dipole can do great things in some cases. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Last edited:
Pioneer pf1 tuner

Bob yes i removed it from the tuner and the tempeture stays the same you can hear a very ,very faint transformer hum from the right side top but again does not seem to affect the tuners performance it is in almost new condition i know that does not mean it just was taken very well care of but used quite often it just looks great.Thank You so much for your response.Best Regards Randy.

I'm no electronics tech but if I'm not mistaken somewhere on the tuner the wiring will be grounded to the chassis. If you can find this make sure it's a clean ground. This could be a source of the hum(?) Help, PunkerX you can answer this. We need an expert.

Back
Top Bottom