Pioneer RT-2044 project

Jonny Ramone

DSC04613.JPG DSC04615.JPG DSC04612.JPG This stuff finds you sometimes. It originally was posted in a Craigslist add, and I flagged it for someone ELSE to buy, since it's kinda big, and I needed to focus on the rest of my stereo, but after 2 years, the other guy decided to offer it to me, at a price I couldn't refuse.

The heads are in pretty good shape. 2 mm flats, fairly evenly worn, which is a relief.

Attachments

• DSC04617.JPG
    DSC04617.JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC04618.JPG
    DSC04618.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 9
You're off on your quest for a 1960's 4 track recording studio.
good luck getting it into perfect working condition, looks like a challenge. Impressive looking if nothing else.

I'll trade you 2 TEAC A4010's (S and GSL) plus an AKAI GX-370. OR an AMPEX 1270 tube Suitcase portable (60lbs) and the AKAI. :biggrin::D jk!

I bet you would! I never expected to own something quite like this, they are usually expensive. Somebody had some Akai PRO-1000 decks(TWO of them), that they wanted $1000 for (apiece, I believe). Luckily, this series is over-shadowed by the 909, and 707( Both of which Dr.Bo has). It's ironic how much cool Pioneer gear I've let slip through my fingers, enough to make a system. Incidentally, this was a late 70's piece, when most of the Japanese were making similar decks. I'll post more pics tomorrow.

Last edited:
100_5161.JPG

This is the 1270. It has a single ended 6aq5 Stereo Amp, and 2 side mounted speakers(see the doors on the sides) for a total of 1.5W. Blows out candles at less than 1" and will have you feeling lopsided after walking it 50ft. The Deck (1250) is going in my '63 Executive console. This is the deck that would have been in it. I have a 960 in it now and THAT will go right in this case, while the 1250 gets some time with Mr. FISHER.

Lets see if this pic of the GX-370D comes up. Even have the remote control (10ft cable). And the tinted cover which my son cracked across the top of the front.

GX-370.jpg

DSC04637.JPG DSC04637.JPG DSC04635.JPG That Ampex looks cherry. Nice find. Didn't think you still had the 370, which you re-capped, right? Anyhoo, here's some more pics. No oil tubes, but ports, apparently, as they look to have brown foam in them. May have to get a syringe from wal-mart to oil.

DSC04643.JPG DSC04644.JPG DSC04640.JPG The infamous removable head-block. Nicely done. It was dirty.... and the linkage was quite sticky. Had to remove it completely to get it apart, as a soldering iron alone wasn't enough. Got it free, though.

Very Nice. I like the removable head block with the connector. Yeah I still have the 370D after the recap. It was a hell of a lot easier than doing the 365D. The Ampex was a gift from another AK'er who saw i needed a 1250, and sent me the 1270. I added a few tubes, cleaned it up, new belts, and that's it for now. It'll get a full recap and going over electronically before going in the Executive. It runs very well for what it is. The heads are slightly worn, but not excessively. So it'll go in the Executive (in which the tape deck was a $400 option) and put the model 960 in the suitcase. The only thing left to get is a K-10 space expander (reverb unit) to complete it.

Right now my setup is running a TEAC A4010GSL. I have a S model waiting in the wings. Plus 2 AKAI GX-4000D's. One the wife gave me for XMAS '83. It stays upstairs with a sheet over it. The other one I got at GW for $10. and it's in better shape on the heads. otherwise the cabinets are the same. I don't think the 2nd 4000D didn't get much time at all. I know my 1st 4000D had gotten 6 hours a week on Sundays from 1983 to 2009 when I got the 365D. At that point it was relegated to the rotation. It's a good basic starter deck, but I like the features on the others better. Then the toys are a pair of Sony Model 230's. Both run but the heads look like hell. They play but they are in dire need of lapping or replacement. Can't afford that, so I have designated tapes I use on them and nothing else. And a 1954 Webcor portable 7" tube unit with a 6V6 amp.

Use a Hair Dryer on low heat to loosen the doublesided tape. Have you got the Service manual for it? It may have an exploded diagram on the front panel.

Owners Manual here;http://www.kallhovde.com/pioneer/rt-2022_20440-om.pdf
Service Manual here: http://www.kallhovde.com/pioneer/rt-2022-2044-sm.pdf
Main page for the PIONEER LISTINGS. Bookmark this for all PIONEER gear you have.
http://www.kallhovde.com/pioneer/Pioneer/Main scan page.html

Last edited:
DSC04656.JPG DSC04657.JPG Yesterday's effort. I decided to service the tape counter first, just because. It was pretty oxidized, and I'm trying to get the cosmetics back up to speed, also(this thing wasn't cheap, back in the day). I'm thinking it spent the last 20 years in a garage.

Next was the tensioner/off switch. I melted the glue on the nearest spring, on the top, as the spring arched that way. The back spring popped off the bottom fairly easily. Removing a C-clip in the front allowed me to remove the assembly. Oh, I do have both manuals from HiFi engine, which have been quite helpful.DSC04655.JPG

Next, I was obsessed with getting oil in the oil port, which is in the front of the motor(but actually isn't really an oil port, I figured out later). I had to use a 10mm wrench to hold the posts, while I removed the screws holding the motor in place. I ended up just putting some oil on the shaft where it goes into the motor, and spinning and wiggling it back and forth, as there's about 1/4" of play(Maybe an 1/8"). I also cleaned the pulley.DSC04660.JPG DSC04664.JPG

This is the screw I needed to get to, to tighten the tape lifter linkage. I used my buddy's dremel (Forgot mine at work), and removed the metal covering it. Easier than a hairdryer, which I didn't think of.....anyway, it's covered by the plastic tape head cover. I was in the home stretch of testing the transport, when I opened the belts I ordered, and was disappointed..... a square belt counter(should be round), and the capstan belt is probably for a cassette deck, judging by the width .....I'm working on returning them.DSC04666.JPG

Last edited:
More progress. Cleaned the fan, and oiled the motor, which DOES have an oil port, with a piece of felt that actually blocks the lube, so I oiled the shafts.DSC04681.JPG DSC04687.JPG DSC04684.JPG DSC04691.JPG

Back
Top Bottom